Camouflage roofs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
google earth is continually updating, haven't looked at it for a while now but the last time I did it was within the previous six months
My new house is on its third update in four years. My old house has not updated for 10 years! In fact it shows our house before we ever moved in and we lived there seven years and left four years ago! I think t depends where you live!!!!

My new house is on its third update in four years. My old house has not updated for 10 years! In fact it shows our house before we ever moved in and we lived there seven years and left four years ago! I think t depends where you live!!!!
Was this the house in Salop Eric?

Bing ariel is later 2018 most areas as they have a photo on my car and trailer tent on a campsite in june 2018
A few years ago I saw a car with a tripod on the roof, turning in my drive (at the end of a private road). I realised it was a Google camera car and ran out to challenge the driver, just in time to see the car disappearing out of sight. A couple of weeks later, I checked Google Earth Street View and there I was, running towards the camera waving my fist in the air!
I got the photos taken down a few days later.

A few years ago I saw a car with a tripod on the roof, turning in my drive (at the end of a private road). I realised it was a Google camera car and ran out to challenge the driver, just in time to see the car disappearing out of sight. A couple of weeks later, I checked Google Earth Street View and there I was, running towards the camera waving my fist in the air!
So you were famous for a short time.
You should of kept a video it might of been worth £250.
You could of sent it of to that bold headed bloke on the tele.
Good night :)

Salop isn't so bad,
but I've yet to experience the butter market in Shrewsbury on a Saturday night yet, I believe it can be interesting !!!!.

Salop isn't so bad,
but I've yet to experience the butter market in Shrewsbury on a Saturday night yet, I believe it can be interesting !!!!.
Shrewsbury is a cracking night out you will enjoy it, I spent my 30th out in Shrewsbury 10 years.

The only place I really go to is the mace industrial estate.
My wifes great grandma lives just outside Shrewsbury on the Whitchurch Road, no hives there yet she has land there, about 60 acres or so.

Last edited:
Our Association apiary hives have mineral felt roofs. The hives are pretty old so either they were home-made or maybe the old tin just got replaced.
But they don't show up on Google earth!

First time I went to visit my mentor, who lived in the middle of nowhere, I looked at Google Street view. There he was in his bee suit! He was a well respected beek in our area.

Possibly because they don't have those problems?
Never had a problem with drifting... or with ally roofs... most have algae growing on them anyway... seriously do not have the time to polish them!!
Google Earths shows our swimming pool from 2014... long roofed over and turned into a bee equipment store!!

One thought that this discussion raises for me is the question, "How helpful would it be to the bees if they were sheltered by a roof?"
I have found it interesting that Jeff Horchoff, "Mr Ed", from Saint Joseph's Abbey in Louisiana has a "shelter shed" roof for a number of hives (I think it may be about twenty hives). I do not know what proportion of his hives are sheltered, or how many are exposed to the weather.
Here in Australia, where summers can be quite hot, a roof could provide shade to protect hives from direct exposure to the sun.
Maybe the benefit in other places might be to protect them from rain. Another benefit may be to provide shelter for the beekeeper when inspections are done.
I imagine that this approach might have the greatest value when hives are set up in a permanent location. This might also be the greatest reason to provide "camouflage" from aerial observation.

I've had 12-15 hives for years, all in a row, and never had a problem with drifting.

Each hive is intentionally different, with a swipe of contrasting paint on the face of it in a place or angle different to it's neighbors.

The bees orient well enough that drifting is not an issue.

I swap the roofs around just to keep the bees guessing!

I've had 12-15 hives for years, all in a row, and never had a problem with drifting.

Each hive is intentionally different, with a swipe of contrasting paint on the face of it in a place or angle different to it's neighbors.

The bees orient well enough that drifting is not an issue.
And presumable that is with Italian bees?

Interesting report by The Apiarist on Drifting in honeybees.

Apparently 13-42% of the bees in any one colony are ‘alien’ i.e. have drifted from adjacent hives, depending upon the time of season. (So nearly half the colony, depending on the season!)

Not necessarily a big problem if all the stocks are healthy but if any one colony is infected/infested, that's soon the whole apiary.

(Hence the advice to treat the whole apiary for varroa if one hive has a high load.)

Latest posts

Back