Camouflage roofs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobba

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I was using google earth yesterday and spotted some bee hives.

They are in nice little rows of 4 with shiny metal roofs.

It got me thinking, I bet bee thieves use it to find hives and plan their crimes.

If I was the owner of an out Apiary, I would camouflage the tops of my hives.

Ps. I will not tell anyone where the hives are for obvious reasons - so don't ask.

Why do some beekeepers persist in having their hives in neat rows? Do they not know the problems associated with drifting workers and queens on mating flights

My metal roofs have been removed and fibre glassed finished in a grey top coat.

Why do some beekeepers persist in having their hives in neat rows? Do they not know the problems associated with drifting workers and queens on mating flights

My thoughts are that it might be easier not to get in front of a hive when working nearby hives if they are in a row?

More than one row and you would be in front of a hive sometimes, or likewise if the hives are dotted randomly in a group, you couldn't help but be in front of one at times ....surely?

I was not aware of that being an issue being a new bee keeper and in all my reading and watching of videos I don’t think I’ve seen it mentioned.

Good to know though as I would have done the same so glad I read this threat for when I split next year.

Maybe a dedicated threat about that might be a good idea.

I was using google earth yesterday and spotted some bee hives.

They are in nice little rows of 4 with shiny metal roofs.

It got me thinking, I bet bee thieves use it to find hives and plan their crimes.

If I was the owner of an out Apiary, I would camouflage the tops of my hives.

Ps. I will not tell anyone where the hives are for obvious reasons - so don't ask.
I tend to go for 'Camouflage Chic!' :cool:

Attachments

• New Supers (1).jpg
    New Supers (1).jpg
    9.3 MB · Views: 69
  • Painted nukes (1).jpg
    Painted nukes (1).jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 64
I was not aware of that being an issue being a new bee keeper and in all my reading and watching of videos I don’t think I’ve seen it mentioned.

Good to know though as I would have done the same so glad I read this threat for when I split next year.

Maybe start another thread up?, you could use the search function and search up drifting.. But it is nice to refresh old threads by starting new ones even if they are about the same subject.
Welcome and good luck.

Richard,
There really isn't a problem, you lay out your apiary as topography allows. Mine are along the top of a bank and I've never seen any problem that could be attributed to the lay out.

Loving the nucs 👌
Thank you. They are BS Honeybees nucs. I have five and will be buying more this year, for queen rearing. They are twin entrance six frame, that can divide into two separate three frame 'baby nukes.'

I tend to go for 'Camouflage Chic!' :cool:

Your apiary looks beautiful.

Keeping them under the canopy probably helps stop scum bag tea leaves spotting them with google earth too.

Latest posts

Back