Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

bobba 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I was using google earth yesterday and spotted some bee hives.

They are in nice little rows of 4 with shiny metal roofs.

It got me thinking, I bet bee thieves use it to find hives and plan their crimes.

If I was the owner of an out Apiary, I would camouflage the tops of my hives.

Ps. I will not tell anyone where the hives are for obvious reasons - so don't ask.

masterBK 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Why do some beekeepers persist in having their hives in neat rows? Do they not know the problems associated with drifting workers and queens on mating flights

hemo 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
6-10
My metal roofs have been removed and fibre glassed finished in a grey top coat.

Antipodes 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Why do some beekeepers persist in having their hives in neat rows? Do they not know the problems associated with drifting workers and queens on mating flights
My thoughts are that it might be easier not to get in front of a hive when working nearby hives if they are in a row?

More than one row and you would be in front of a hive sometimes, or likewise if the hives are dotted randomly in a group, you couldn't help but be in front of one at times ....surely?

richard_skinner 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
I was not aware of that being an issue being a new bee keeper and in all my reading and watching of videos I don’t think I’ve seen it mentioned.

Good to know though as I would have done the same so glad I read this threat for when I split next year.

Maybe a dedicated threat about that might be a good idea.

Swn58 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Less than 1.....more than 20!
I was using google earth yesterday and spotted some bee hives.

They are in nice little rows of 4 with shiny metal roofs.

It got me thinking, I bet bee thieves use it to find hives and plan their crimes.

If I was the owner of an out Apiary, I would camouflage the tops of my hives.

Ps. I will not tell anyone where the hives are for obvious reasons - so don't ask.
I tend to go for 'Camouflage Chic!' :cool:

Attachments

Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
35 this winter
I was not aware of that being an issue being a new bee keeper and in all my reading and watching of videos I don’t think I’ve seen it mentioned.

Good to know though as I would have done the same so glad I read this threat for when I split next year.

Maybe start another thread up?, you could use the search function and search up drifting.. But it is nice to refresh old threads by starting new ones even if they are about the same subject.
Welcome and good luck.

Swarm 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
more than 20, less than 100.

Richard,
There really isn't a problem, you lay out your apiary as topography allows. Mine are along the top of a bank and I've never seen any problem that could be attributed to the lay out.

Swn58 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Less than 1.....more than 20!
Loving the nucs 👌
Thank you. They are BS Honeybees nucs. I have five and will be buying more this year, for queen rearing. They are twin entrance six frame, that can divide into two separate three frame 'baby nukes.'

bobba 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I tend to go for 'Camouflage Chic!' :cool:
Your apiary looks beautiful.

Keeping them under the canopy probably helps stop scum bag tea leaves spotting them with google earth too.

MuswellMetro 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
I was thinking the same.. So I had a look for my out apiarys and the maps are 2013 so I couldn't see any hives, But I saw my old black car, and our grey t20 tractor.
Bing ariel is later 2018 most areas as they have a photo on my car and trailer tent on a campsite in june 2018

jenkinsbrynmair 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
google earth is continually updating, haven't looked at it for a while now but the last time I did it was within the previous six months

Latest posts