Calm restored!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troyca

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Well my new Carnolian queen's bees have started taking over the hive and the difference is HUGE-and great to see. I know I am supposed to be able to breed my own queen but frankly, life is too short and neighbors have limited tolerence for bad tempered bees while I get good at it. Not all of us have unlimited space or access to association facilities.As the new bees take over, the number of blacker stripe nasties are receeding and the lovely new fluffy yellow striped bottoms of the new crowd are more numerous.
Re queening -don't doubt it -you know it makes sense.

Our grumpy queen (and her bees) always seem to be on the verge of being re-queened. About once a month we walk away from the hive saying "she's for the chop" - and then they are little angels for the next 3 weeks. They're on 5 acres, so they aren't a nuisance, and they are incredibly productive. They did sting me 6 times in the back of the head for daring to mow near them....

Well my new Carnolian queen's bees have started taking over the hive and the difference is HUGE-.

hope you have CCTV to see were the swarms and castes go.

one carnolian hve on our apairy swarmed on the 1st of april last year and had three castes, this year AAAAAAAAH

But they are very calm bees i must admit, i got the artificial swarm this year from that hive (free) it was, made up thurday, fed saturday but not inspected Saturday i had seen it thursday....2009 queen SWARMED FRIDAY or Saturday morning....they must have made QC on thursday night...hatchQC and few bees found on Saturday and a small swarm of bees going over the road.

Last edited:
You write a whole load of good sense troyca.

Many parts of the UK are blighted by bad tempered strains of bee and regular requeening is one way of factoring the problem out.

If the new bee's that are now taking over have yellow stripes they are not carniolan.

Right again Pete,
Look for dark bees with grey stripes bee-smillie.

John Wilkinson

Latest posts

Back