Calling Irish Beekeepers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snoop

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
poly hives
Dear Beekeeper,

One of the aims of National Apiculture Programme 2013-2016 is to carry out a national survey to assess the prevalence of diseases in the managed honeybee colonies and determine the racial status of the Irish honeybee population. To achieve this we need to collect adult bees and comb samples from approximately 150-200 beekeepers randomly selected in different geographical regions during the two active seasons (2014/2015). To ensure that our test sample is representative of Irish beekeeping; a stratified random sampling method is necessary. This is simply that the entire beekeeper population is divided into geographical regions and then a random sample is selected from each of these regions. This could easily be achieved by making a random selection from the full list of beekeepers affiliated to FIBKA, but due to Data Protection issues this is not an option. Therefore it is necessary to compile a list of beekeepers names who have confirmed their willingness to participate in the survey and from this list we will select our 150-200 beekeepers. To guarantee that our selected ‘cohort’ of beekeepers best represent beekeeping in Ireland we need the selection list to be as complete as possible. To ensure its completeness we would like all affiliated beekeepers to confirm their willingness to be included in the selection list by forwarding their name/address and email address. This can be easily done by:

Contacting your local secretary, confirm your willingness and subsequently your name/address/email will be sent to us (John Breen/Mary F Coffey) by the secretary
Click on the ‘link’ below and this will allow you to submit your personal details automatically
Email you name/address/email address directly to Mary F Coffey at [email protected].

Beekeepers names collected using the different methods will be collated into a single list and it is from this list that 150-200 individual beekeepers will be randomly selected and invited individually to participate in the survey using email or post. Any selected beekeeper at this point who wishes not to participate or are unable to participate for what ever reason will be given the opportunity to decline the invitation and as coordinators we will continue to select replacements randomly until we have approximately a “cohart” of 100 beekeepers which are representative of Irish beekeeping. Personal information acquired during this selection process will be protected under the privacy policy regulated by Directive 95/46/EC of the European parliament. Each participating beekeeper will be given a specific code which will be only known to the database supervisor (Prof. John Breen) and coordinator (Mary F Coffey).

Our endeavour is to have the full list compiled by the 1st April, thus allowing sufficient time to individually invite the select 150-200 beekeepers and start the survey in late April this year. More specific details on the actual survey will published in an article in the April Edition of An Beachaire.

Thanking you

Mary F

Dr Mary F Coffey

Univeristy of Limerick

Limerick

Tel: 086 4033676

[https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FX7QWCT]

Click on the wasp nest to take part in the survey or alternatively use the following address: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FX7QWCT

From what I understand there has to be a min of 10 beekeepers per county to have the county included in the survey otherwise the statistics and probability don't stack up So the more the merrier. I am open to correction, just passing on the information.

Is this island wide snoop or just the Free State? UBKA included y /n ?

Ironic really that there was no word for the colour "orange" in the English language until the fruit was discovered and introduced to Europe.

The robin red breast is so called (even though it is actually orange) because in the middle ages when it was given a common name, the colour was called "yellow-red"

I think NI was previously included - Co. Armagh was definitely included in some previous surveys as Armagh and Monaghan BKA is affiliated directly to FIBKA.

Stephen - I think we should contribute - hopefully plenty of folk in Armagh and Monaghan will do so and it would be a bonus if EA BKA did so also.

Mary's work is directly supporting some of the work of NIHBS so I am in favour of supporting that.

Ironic really that there was no word for the colour "orange" in the English language until the fruit was discovered and introduced to Europe.

The robin red breast is so called (even though it is actually orange) because in the middle ages when it was given a common name, the colour was called "yellow-red"

Are they sampling oranges as well now? Don't grow any here in County Antrim, too wet. However, as a lot of the membership of NIHBS is around here we do have a few bees

Are they sampling oranges as well now? Don't grow any here in County Antrim, too wet. However, as a lot of the membership of NIHBS is around here we do have a few bees

My kids will do the orange sampling, they love them! I know a few people down here who have grown lemons, I've not managed it though, they've always died.

Anyway.. Back to the bees. Maybe it should be viewed like the rugby? one island, one subspecies of bees! Bees don't do politics or religion but they may do cross border pollen and nectar smuggling!!

Were you at the NIHBS conference in Athlone? We may have bumped shoulders in the scrum for a cup of tea!

Torq.

Got the rugby shirt, and really enjoyed the NIHBS conference. First time in Athlone, will be back. I'm secretary of our local BKA and we're starting a queen rearing group this season to restock a lot of our area with amm. Grafted from Galtee stock last year so using those colonies for drones. I was only asking the initial question as I am all for an islands approach to beekeeping as there are a lot of diseases/pests we can hopefully avoid if we cut the imports.

Latest posts

Back