Calibrating refractometer

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I've recently bought a refractometer (from Hong Kong via eBay). Usually try to purchase UK only in case of problems but none available when l looked. It is the same make and design, ATC, as demonstrated by Stuart Spinks on his YouTube channel.

There is a little screwdriver but mine does not contain the little glass block and dioptric oil. Is this because the refractometer is already accurately calibrated, or should l contact the seller? (Don't want to appear ignorant, altho' l don't mind appearing so on this forum). The instructions alas are all in Chinese although from the diagrams there is no indication of little glass block or oil.

I extracted a super of honey mid/late May as l suspected OSR as is usual for my bees. Only about 25% of each frame was capped, but doing the shake test on all the frames, no honey came out. Just to be sure l bought the refractometer which shows the moisture content as 15%. Reading previous posts here this seems a bit low hence my query about the need to re-calibrate the refractometer. Incidentally the honey is dark golden and has a good consistency, three weeks in the bucket and no sign of granulation.

Lesley

Is there a space within the protective foam (within the case) that looks like it is shaped for a little vial of the dioptric oil?

Mine had the glass block wrapped up in thin brown paper, like a lolly, in the area alongside the screwdriver.

Also, you can do a Google translate with a free app on your phone. If the instructions mention calibrating, oil and a block, I'd contact the seller.

Is there a space within the protective foam (within the case) that looks like it is shaped for a little vial of the dioptric oil?

Mine had the glass block wrapped up in thin brown paper, like a lolly, in the area alongside the screwdriver.
I just had a squeeze plastic pipette alongside the screwdriver, so no room for oil or glass block

Actually, I've just looked at mine again, and there was no special place for the oil, just wedged in the corner. Block in paper as shown.....

Attachments

• IMG_20200614_180728490.jpg
    IMG_20200614_180728490.jpg
    773.7 KB · Views: 34
I bought one recently from Simon the Beekeeper. The "calibration set" is optional and costs ~£3 extra. The manual is in English (sort of) - I could scan it for you if you haven't found one on line.

Attachments

• ATC Honey Refractometer-compressed.pdf
    203.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Just do the olive oil check......don't use water like the instructions say, or at least they did on mine!

I bought one recently from Simon the Beekeeper. The "calibration set" is optional and costs ~£3 extra. The manual is in English (sort of) - I could scan it for you if you haven't found one on line.
Thank you Paul, that is really useful, l can print it off. I think maybe more recently ATC no longer include these items - probably a cost saving thing. Not sure, if factory calibrated, that l need to buy the block and oil separately. I'll see what the seller has to say.

Thank you Paul, that is really useful, l can print it off. I think maybe more recently ATC no longer include these items - probably a cost saving thing. Not sure, if factory calibrated, that l need to buy the block and oil separately. I'll see what the seller has to say.

If factory calibrated pour a little olive oil into a container measure it note the value and keep that sample for future Calibration if you’re worried it doesn’t stay true.

Just a an aside. ATC doesn't refer to a manufacturer. It stands for Automatic Temperature Compensation.

Just a an aside. ATC doesn't refer to a manufacturer. It stands for Automatic Temperature Compensation.
Well, l never knew that. Just assumed that the company ATC had more or less cornered the market in refractometers! Good job l don't mind making a fool of myself on this very forgiving forum ����

i got the same ATC one too. its fairly accurate on its own. i tried calibrating to olive oil from LIDL which i thought its 26.5 to 27 but its wrong.

in the end i brought it to my beekeeping association, borrowed the asociation's proper calibrated heavy duty refractometer that is factory calibrated (those expensive scientific ones) with a sample of my honey. i then took a reading of the honey using the refractometer from association. then took a reading from same honey with my ATC refracto, and calibrated my refractometer reading to match the reading of the one from association

i think mine would be fairly accurate now.

Now that your refractometer is accurate get a sample of your olive oil in a small bottle and keep it for the future. You can then calibrate it every season. I check mine against a sample every year.

Buy a small bottle of liquid paraffin from a chemist/pharmacy being a quality product it will be stable and register 24.5% on the brix, the virgin olive oil we have one a Sainsburys own brand and one a Spanish Lidl one both are about 27%/27.2% on the brix.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back