Cable internet...WOW!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5...2 wooden National, 2 poly Nat & 1 poly nuc...bursting at the seams
I can't believe it, our holiday cottage in Brugge has cable and it is amazing. I downloaded a game, which at home would take 24-30 hours in 2 minutes! I WANT TO MOVE TO BELGIUM!:party:

Good food and very good beer last time I was there.

i have 40mb virgin media optic cable into my house :party: paid for by my employer

Are you sure its a fibre MM?

Its more common to install a 2, 3, 5, 10 or 20 twisted pair cable to a home / business for the phones and a coaxial cable for the TV and Broadband as a fibre feed would need a business rack installed which contains £70K + worth of kit to receive the optic feed and convert it to RF for the TV & broadband and another set of kit for the phone lines which is why fibre feeds tend to only be provided to large businesses or communities in rural areas.

The Nynex bosses used to say theres no profit in tv only phones, however now a days the biggest profit is in data transfer and broadband.

The adverts from earlier this year made people think they had a fibre installed to their house which didn't help the service engineers like myself. The truth of the matter was when I joined the original company in my area which was Nynex back in '92 the core network even then was built using fibres from the headend to the hub sites then onto what we call a mux (local exchange) from there the laser light was converted to RF and sent down very thick coaxial cables to the hundreds of small cabs then down smaller RG6 or RG11 coaxial cables to feed customers.

Are you sure its a fibre MM?

Its more common to install a 2, 3, 5, 10 or 20 twisted pair cable to a home / business for the phones and a coaxial cable for the TV and Broadband as a fibre feed would need a business rack installed which contains £70K + worth of kit to receive the optic feed and convert it to RF for the TV & broadband and another set of kit for the phone lines which is why fibre feeds tend to only be provided to large businesses or communities in rural areas.

The Nynex bosses used to say theres no profit in tv only phones, however now a days the biggest profit is in data transfer and broadband.

The adverts from earlier this year made people think they had a fibre installed to their house which didn't help the service engineers like myself. The truth of the matter was when I joined the original company in my area which was Nynex back in '92 the core network even then was built using fibres from the headend to the hub sites then onto what we call a mux (local exchange) from there the laser light was converted to RF and sent down very thick coaxial cables to the hundreds of small cabs then down smaller RG6 or RG11 coaxial cables to feed customers.

yep, direct fibre, funny little box thats glows blue thats about all i know, it is a commercial instalation restricted for my home use, but wide open for data transfer to my firm

actual read the blurb on the box, doesnt say fibre, just 200mb, but it use to be cable london 1mb until six months ago when they added a new cable

i have a home PC restricted 40mb access to it via a small box but open access to 200 mb via my frms work at home slave PC ( small hard drive), the main box is 2cm by 30cm by 40cm and glows blue, the cable/firbre or whatever in is thicker than the old cable, it is for a transport organisation so i can work from home and get access to their main computor

MM I'm really jealous.

Queen59, have you seen the taxes in Belgium. Are and always have been swingeing, enough to make your eyes water. Best just to holiday there.

I lived in Liege for three years 1976 -1979 and enjoyed it very much. Not as a Belgian tax payer I might add.

There's always a downside I guess! We have been told we 'may' get fibreoptics in 2014 at home, and yet when we left they were digging up the entire village to lay new brass(?) cables. Why couldn't they update it then? We have 1-3 BT vans in the village everyday - what a waste or man-power.

We call it the retirement fund village, and I jokingly said this to a BT engineer...and he said 'You don't know how right you are, we take dibs on being the overtime team for this village - it adds to the wages every month!'

Lucky lot!
Here in the depths of deepest darkest Devon ... we get BT string and 2 bean~can technology
downlode about 70KBPS and upload marginally about the same, The exchange is in a leaky tin hut, and we have to pay the same as you lucky Londeners and peeps wot lives any line north and east of Bristol
Cornwall gets £6 billion fibre optik upgrade, Devon................................. dial ~ up ???

BT phone up frequently selling BT Vision but I have to explain that our broadband speed is too slow to stream their programmes. They say surely not, test while I wait and say oops,sorry.
Happens at least twice a month.
We still have overhead power cables here and whenever United Utilities have to trim trees (four times this year) we have the power off for a whole day.

Latest posts

Back