Cabinet style AZ hive from Slovenia.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sugarbush

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
0-30 at any given time
Curious if anybody here has any experience or familiarity with the Slovenia cabinet style hives that are typically placed in the wall of a building?

I am just looking for insight into their advantages and drawbacks as well as winter survival rates. There are a few people here promoting this style of beekeeping now.

Curious if anybody here has any experience or familiarity with the Slovenia cabinet style hives that are typically placed in the wall of a building?

I am just looking for insight into their advantages and drawbacks as well as winter survival rates. There are a few people here promoting this style of beekeeping now.

Too costly ( wooden ware), too complicated ( construction, operations).. Good as any other hive. Just have to learn to work with it.. My mentor has about 20 left, he transffered to langs.
Since containers are made for langs, more people goes from it to langs..
Of such types, if I would have desire and time to play, I would try russian cassette type of hives. for curiosity reasons..

To me it looks like the volume isn't suitable to American strains of bees. It is so small that I think our bees will be attempting to swarm out of it all summer long.

My 5 frame splits from May 5th this year are already occupying 3 deeps and a medium. In 10 weeks they expanded from 5 deep frames to 30 deep and 10 medium frames.

There are AŽ grom ( 11+11 frames). There is also triple AŽ ( some beeks here are advocating it with passion.. I wasn't impressed much). The main reason why I don't think about AŽ are costs and slower more complicated operations, availability of parts ( for langs you can find parts in every " village" and again very cheap).

Latest posts

Back