Buzz Saw Calamity

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teebeeaitch

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
TBH
How frustrating! A road side tree that I know of has been home to a feral colony for at least the past 5 years. I have kept an eye on it and have also taken a swarm from it in the past. Recent high winds felled the tree but the break point of the trunk was fortunately above the colony so they remained undisturbed. That’s the end of the good news.

Local contractors, who were totally innocent, were instructed to remove the remaining trunk. They were only aware of the colony existence once their chain saw had sliced clean through the middle of the colony. Back to some more encouraging news. Despite large chunks of old brood comb spread all around, I think the main cluster, along with the bulk of their stores, survived and remain below the cut line in the last bit of stump. Of course they now have nothing above them and are pretty vulnerable to the elements. The plan now is to place all bits of broken comb with adhering bees back on top of the stump and hope they crawl back down. Then place a heavy wooden board on top and weigh it down with lots of tree off cuts. Finally cover with lots of foliage for camouflage to keep hidden from public view.

Not sure what their chances are, probably less than 50:50. However, I think that’s a better chance than being subjected to an attempted cut out from me. I thought I had got past the stage of worrying but I know I shall be thinking of them all over winter. Time will tell, roll on spring.

How frustrating! A road side tree that I know of has been home to a feral colony for at least the past 5 years. I have kept an eye on it and have also taken a swarm from it in the past. Recent high winds felled the tree but the break point of the trunk was fortunately above the colony so they remained undisturbed. That’s the end of the good news.

Local contractors, who were totally innocent, were instructed to remove the remaining trunk. They were only aware of the colony existence once their chain saw had sliced clean through the middle of the colony. Back to some more encouraging news. Despite large chunks of old brood comb spread all around, I think the main cluster, along with the bulk of their stores, survived and remain below the cut line in the last bit of stump. Of course they now have nothing above them and are pretty vulnerable to the elements. The plan now is to place all bits of broken comb with adhering bees back on top of the stump and hope they crawl back down. Then place a heavy wooden board on top and weigh it down with lots of tree off cuts. Finally cover with lots of foliage for camouflage to keep hidden from public view.

Not sure what their chances are, probably less than 50:50. However, I think that’s a better chance than being subjected to an attempted cut out from me. I thought I had got past the stage of worrying but I know I shall be thinking of them all over winter. Time will tell, roll on spring.

If its a roadside tree there is every chance the highways department will be along soon to remove the stump so don't get your hopes too high.

If its a roadside tree there is every chance the highways department will be along soon to remove the stump so don't get your hopes too high.

Contact your local authority's arborist. Based on my experience (London Borough, admittedly), they are amazing and should at least have some influence over events.

I hope they survive after all that.
Hope they do a good job in sheltering the top off to the elements. Were they a quiet colony, as you didn't mention whether anyone got stung.
You will have to let us know the outcome.
Sharon

Try and put as much thickness and insulation as you can...100mm of kingspan is not excessive compared to several m of wood.

Contact your local authority's arborist. Based on my experience (London Borough, admittedly), they are amazing and should at least have some influence over events.

:iagree:

This from Dover BKA www.ddbka.com August newsletter
There is a new arrival at the apiary, Roy Pearson and Dover District Council tree surgeons had to fell a tree which landed on a nursing home at Kearsney. The tree was home to honeybees! A section of trunk was cut and transported in the evening to Eythorne, bees last seen happily going in & out, now horizontal rather than vertical. Roy was his usual capable practical self, but well done DDC.

‘ If its a roadside tree there is every chance the highways department will be along soon to remove the stump so don't get your hopes too high.’

It was a roadside tree but in amongst a small copse and the stump will be left alone now.

‘Contact your local authority's arborist. Based on my experience (London Borough, admittedly), they are amazing and should at least have some influence over events.’

Yes, the Council are onboard. T’was their aboriculturalist that contacted me initially.

‘Were they a quiet colony, as you didn't mention whether anyone got stung.’

They were a very well behaved colony and no one was stung. A cool grey day accompanied by a slant of soft rain probably helped.

I'm wondering if you couldn't put a box on the top with some drawn comb and smoke them up into it or just let them decide if they like it. It'll either provide shelter or make them easy to re-home at some point.
A call to the council/highway dept would help too, as someone suggested.

This tree is by a main road?

If you make an insulated something or other to go on top of the stump, it'll attract attention. If you put a nice box on top, the chances are that somebody will steal it.

Get a disk of wood cut off the tree then nail it back on job done simple

‘ If its a roadside tree there is every chance the highways department will be along soon to remove the stump so don't get your hopes too high.’

It was a roadside tree but in amongst a small copse and the stump will be left alone now.

‘Contact your local authority's arborist. Based on my experience (London Borough, admittedly), they are amazing and should at least have some influence over events.’

Yes, the Council are onboard. T’was their aboriculturalist that contacted me initially.

‘Were they a quiet colony, as you didn't mention whether anyone got stung.’

They were a very well behaved colony and no one was stung. A cool grey day accompanied by a slant of soft rain probably helped.

Great news, hope they do well now. If they get through the winter, they should be fine.

This tree is by a main road?

If you make an insulated something or other to go on top of the stump, it'll attract attention. If you put a nice box on top, the chances are that somebody will steal it.

ok 150mm of celotex covered in some tatty reclaimed wood held on with 6" nails

Latest posts

Back