Buying Queens & Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is the main factor for you when buying queens & Bees

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

theengraver

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
400 + 200 Nucs + 200 Mating Hives
What is the main factor when buying Queen & Bees

hi Taff
the main point is it just the price that is the main driving factor

With all due respect, why did the poll not ask that! KISS principle at work!

The answers would then be 'yes' or 'no'? Simple, no muddying of the waters, other alternatives, or whatever.

Oliver90owner

Hi, this is an issue that will hopefully present itself to me this year. However given your two choices I find that I cannot take the poll because neither apply to me.

Option A is worded in such a way that if you choose that you literally "don't care" but you will get them cheap. Which implies that if you chose that you are careless reckless cheapskate. All negative connotations. However option 2 implies money no object as long as I care. Given that you state it will be public and that your choice will be shown you are left with making yourself look bad, beyond reproach, or abstain. Curious. Is it a personality test or an actual question that if in reality you only had these two choices which at present is not the case. If it's a question based on an actual answer you want the result will mean nothing. As far more options are available.

Unless you want to see who would actually vote and that result means something. *shrugs*

Last edited:
hi
it was me that posed the question
i know there are many many other questions that can be asked
its not set to make people look good or bad and people should not think of it that way
the real question is more of a snap shot of people mindset
and the result will mean something if the question is answerd in an honest way.
without thinging will this make me look good

Storm, my reply was to post #3

I was simply saying the original question might just have been set for a 'yes' or 'no' answer as to whether cost was the more important or not, from the post #3 response.

You say: 'this is an issue that will hopefully present itself to me this year.'. I would hope you would not allow either of the options (in the poll question) to be your definitive choice - unless 'cheapest' was your only criteria for purchase of the most important member of your colonies - and I would hope that could not possibly be a sensible choice!

Hence, for most responders, the poll is flawed.

I can assure you that any poll instigated by me would be given considerable thought very carefully worded. A poll must result in sensible conclusions which are irrefutable, as far as the results of the survey show. Responders must not be allowed to be too subjective. There must be no hint of bias, either. You will find that most polls are flawed in some way.

RAB

I would hate for the poll not to have some balance. I think that the questions skew the whole issue.

Of course price is of consequence - anything else would be sheer extravagance, and yes we care where our bees ostensibly come from, for reasons largely related to potential for disease and other nasties that might manage to come in with them.

I don't stop eating bananas because I'm not keen on exotic spiders however.

I don't mind being controversial or different just as long as my nose doesn't get too long.

I think that the poll missed the boat by not asking questions that might be a little more revealing.It's all a matter of degrees really.

Sorry,but that's how it is. Still, at least it's not quite a one horse race now. I can live quite satisfactorily with the lack of approbation.

"They're from" not "There from", therefore.

Last edited:
hi Taff
the main point is it just the price that is the main driving factor

cost is not the main factor, in fact it is only a small factor.

I want any queens that I buy to be sourced locally, from well respected beekeepers. however if that beekeeper wanted to charge me £200 for a queen I would not buy her, however if the cost is £20~£40 then I will happily part with my cash.

I can say that the main factor, for me at this time, when buying a queen is that she is not imported.

Price is always an issue. Why else would some members even think of bottle or wax buying co-operative ventures.

So when you think me disingenuous, review the answers polled by others.

Of course, glitch or otherwise, before I voted, I could see the list of user names of the nine that had voted before me. Not there now however.

Price is an issue and we care, to a degree, where the queens come from but not enough.

What is the main factor when buying Queen & Bees

The inferiority of the queen/bees could not be compensated by the cheaper price. Everyone knows that. But some still prefer to go for the cheap and then complain about the quality

Yeah sorry bout the mix up. Using an iPhone ATM. Scrolled too fast lol.

Almost any sort of survey is very difficult to word so that the questions are unambiguous and also cover more or less all the options. This poll is a good example - the Engraver has voiced his/her views on importing queens elsewhere so their views are well known - but if we didn't know them it would be very obvious from the wording of this poll what they are.

Might be a tip for anyone planning a poll to float the questions first and ask for views on the wording and options.

can anyone suggest any good breaders uk and abroad?

Latest posts

Back