Buying a table saw

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My old Skilsaw table saw is getting pretty inadequate for my projects. However, I’d like to keep my budget under $500 for a new one. Any recommendations? I’m a newbie, but I do want to tackle some serious projects, I’m pretty fond of arts and crafts furniture.
Judging by your budget in $ it would appear that you are seeking products in the USA ? You mght be better asking the question on one of the many USA woodworking forums ....there's a wealth of knowledge on here but, whilst we have a few members located in the USA, the vast majority are on this side of the Atlantic and tools over here are not often the same brands that are available over there.

The cheap table saw have three main problems IMO
1) The tables are made of bolted together pressed steel and are not flat
2) The fence only has a lock at one end and can bend with heavier work pieces.
3) the blade spindle bearings or bushes wear quite quickly and the blade then develops a wobble or deflects easily.
My TITAN TTB763TAS 254MM saw from Screwfix has suffered all three but has also been incredibly useful and has allowed me to salvage wood that would have previously been unusable to me eg old 6 foot long 4" x 4" fence posts turned into garden gates and numerous bits for hives and nucs.

I will be looking for something better in the future.

Sorry I have not read all above post. But after lot of looking i decided on this as it can be folded down has wheels and has some great features.Evolution Power Tools RAGE5 - S Rage 5-S Multi-Purpose Table Saw, 255 mm (230 V)
Got one of these and it works just fine for almost all my Beek wood cutting tasks. Have made a few jigs and ‘assessories ’ it’s as well though, to make certain repeat tasks easier/ quicker.

Sorry I have not read all above post. But after lot of looking i decided on this as it can be folded down has wheels and has some great features.Evolution Power Tools RAGE5 - S Rage 5-S Multi-Purpose Table Saw, 255 mm (230 V)
I have the evolution fury, It's rubbish.
Fortunately I bought second hand but the reviews I have read are pretty bad.
Out of the box people are complaining of dented tables, misaligned blades etc
I had to dismantle the thing to flatten the table and doing various checks with a set square, nothing is straight.
Still have to adjust it as it cuts three to four mm thicker at one end.
It would seem unless you have cash to spend on a good one, this is what you get.

very good table saws are big, heavy and expensive. So you need permanent space for one of those. I went for an wheeled site saw with removable side table. Still a pain to move

Anecdotally the purchase price of the evolution mitre saw is noticeably less than it was 20 years since I bought mine.Which is impossible given the effects of inflation and global recession.
Its only due to cheaper via Chinese manufacture and cutback design.
I looked at these in the B and the Q a while back and what was immediately apparent was the omission of the wear adjusters on the moving parts.
So basically they're now 'disposable'

huge range of different prices with no clear reason to justify the difference. Given the way these things work however, it doesn't actually mean they're really the same thing
find an older model in good condition
Good advice, Michael.
James: buy a used quality machine (as Pargyle suggested) over a cheap new one, any day.

James: buy a used quality machine (as Pargyle suggested) over a cheap new one, any day.

I certainly wouldn't disagree, and in some cases I've waited a year or even several for something specific to come up for sale on the secondhand market. At other times however it's just pragmatic to have a solution, even if it's not the best, now, and wait for the ideal item to come up whenever that happens.

James

My problem is not cost as I’d gladly pay for decent machinery. It’s room!
My lightweight Parker table saw is easily moved in and out of a corner when required. Not something easily done with a professional heavyweight machine.

very good table saws are big, heavy and expensive. So you need permanent space for one of those. I went for an wheeled site saw with removable side table. Still a pain to move
Big, Heavy and old can get you a really good saw if you have the room for it and are prepared for a bit of fettling. Inca, Startrite, Wadkin, Robinson and others can be picked up for the same new price as some of the modern tin foil and plastic offerings. With a set of industrial locking wheels and enough space they are fantastic machines built like a brick outhouse. 110volt sometimes but a 110v 3kva site transformer will only cost about £30. Some of them are ex-school machines and have been little used and well maintained. Look in the industrial tool auctions and be prepared to travel and you can find bargains ...

currently I could have the choice of a range of professional (but old) Joinery machines - Wadkinb12" table saw, planer/thickneser, mortice machine plus a lovely Luna combined 8" (I think) table saw/planer/thickesser/spindle moulder which (IIRC) cost around three grand back in 1981 plus a dovetailer, dewalt radial arm saw, wadkin workshop belt sanding bench and much ,much more (plus a few hand made unused coffins) My Godfather's workshop has lain idle for probably ten years, he died last year and my Godmother just hasn't bothered doing anything with them (she probably doesn't know their worth as Hywel ('Got to have it' was his nickname) probably never told her how much he spent. Trouble is, A) I Don't have the accommodation needed, B) it's all 3 phase kit.
There's also a six cadaver mortuary chiller, like new, a mortuary table and loads more!!

I spend quite some time over Xmas watching YT due to hand ops. What I learned and have put into practice is this.

If you do nothing else put an extension on your mitre slide. It's a massive instant improvement and when setting 45Degrees use a triangle. They are not that expensive but they bloody set the angle well. https://www.onbuy.com/gb/stanley-46...TY3NjMzODg5NiwiYm1jIjoiMi41In0=&gclsrc=aw.ds&

Make a cross cut sled and a mitre if you do then a lot. Again game changers. You do need two mitre gauge slots though for best results.

Also a Trend depth setting gauge and set of steel rules.

Get square all.... KISS

PH

currently I could have the choice of a range of professional (but old) Joinery machines - Wadkinb12" table saw, planer/thickneser, mortice machine plus a lovely Luna combined 8" (I think) table saw/planer/thickesser/spindle moulder which (IIRC) cost around three grand back in 1981 plus a dovetailer, dewalt radial arm saw, wadkin workshop belt sanding bench and much ,much more (plus a few hand made unused coffins) My Godfather's workshop has lain idle for probably ten years, he died last year and my Godmother just hasn't bothered doing anything with them (she probably doesn't know their worth as Hywel ('Got to have it' was his nickname) probably never told her how much he spent. Trouble is, A) I Don't have the accommodation needed, B) it's all 3 phase kit.
There's also a six cadaver mortuary chiller, like new, a mortuary table and loads more!!
Macabre!

I had to dismantle the thing to flatten the table and doing various checks with a set square, nothing is straight.
It would seem unless you have cash to spend on a good one, this is what you get.
I have the rage 5s not the fury . Maybe I was lucky or the lesser model you have bought is the problem?

My problem is not cost as I’d gladly pay for decent machinery. It’s room!
My lightweight Parker table saw is easily moved in and out of a corner when required. Not something easily done with a professional heavyweight machine.
Ditto
I have the cheapest Screwfix one bought s'h for £30 (used by prior owner once)

No it has faults but a lot better than no saw and light so stacked on side to save space.

VFDs that convert single phase to 3 phase are pretty cheap and new motors, rated at 230V with insulation that copes with the spikes of the VFD are again relatively cheap. I remotored a drill press for about £300 I think... The advantages of the VFDs are variable speed and higher starting torque than single phase.

Latest posts

Back