Buying a New Colony

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EDCHEF

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello All from Sunny Shropshire
I have been offered a colony of bees and a hive (of unknown type) for £120
Assuming that the hive is in reasonable condition, there are signs of brood in various stages, some stores perhaps, and no signs of disease; what things should I keep an eye open for ?
Any suggestions? :cool:

Bad temper

:iagree: +10000000

On Sunday I was lucky enough to watch Clive de Bryun inspect a couple of colonies belonging to the Belvedere Bee Breeders Group. His test for agression/temper was to karate chop the brood frames and watch the reaction. The belvedere bees took no notice of him and he hardly used any smoke.

My 7 frame of brood colony explode when the crown board comes off!! They are expanding rapidly and will need brood and 1/2 very soon. But once it's queen cell time of year the bees will be used for apideas and her majesty will be dispatched to be replaced with a quiet queen.

It's potentially a bargain so be prepared to forgive a few imperfections.

Foulbrood or serious varroa damage would be deal breakers - in both cases the broodnest will look shoddy but an experienced pair of eyes will help.

A below-average colony size would also be a downer. Personally I'd be looking for bees on at least half the brood frames at beginning of April, but they may well fill the box - in which case it's a steal at that price.

Look at the covered brood for signs of holes - heavy varroa infestation - or anything abnormal: disease , scattered patterns etc...

I'd also look at the seller and see if there is a wry smile.

Back