Buyer beware

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're referring to Roger a.k.a. Norton then I would suggest that he is a reputable and honest retailer of Buckfast Queens.

I have never ever had any difficulties with him in the past and many experienced beekeepers on here import his stock (I'm one of them).

Don't rush to discredit just yet.

I am sure that he will see you right IF there is a problem.

EDIT: I see that you've edited/removed your last post?

i am not referring to anyone, the supplier in question has flatly refused to help in any way and directed me to our postal services.

You specified superbee and Roger in your last post.....and then edited it.

I think the attitude - "I sent 'em - if you haven't got them, then that's your problem - go talk to the Post Office" (my paraphrase) - really isn't good enough - regardless of who the supplier is, or whether or not they have an otherwise unblemished track record. That's the sort of off-hand attitude one has come to expect from certain Ebayer sellers ...

In contrast - I bought a litre of wood glue from ToolStation last year, which went solid in the tube within a few months of starting to use it. The shelf-life (i.e. unopened) is stated as being 6 months from the date of manufacture, but there is no guide as to how long the glue will usually last once opened.
So I emailed ToolStation querying this - asking how long one might reasonably expect this glue to remain viable once opened - but I made it clear that I was only enquiring, and not complaining, and was not seeking a refund - only technical clarification.

A replacement litre of glue complete with compliments slip arrived the very next day on a 10-ton truck. Now that is customer service 'over and beyond' what one might reasonably expect. Needless to say, they will have all of my DIY custom in future - and - I'm more than happy to tell others of this event.

In business, reputation is *everything*.

LJ

For future reference.
Always, always insist on being provided with the following information when purchasing from an unknown or untried source, especially important if from overseas.

Shipping date
Courier / carrier
Waybill number or other tracking number (should then be able to track package online)

Last but not least a copy of the shipping documents, these can be scanned and emailed or photographed and emailed, no excuses for the shipper to not do this for you. This should display all of the above.

You could also negotiate 50% payment upfront, balance on delivery or C.O.D.

Wow!! That's too much...

I know members of a group of beeks here in Ireland who don't have to pay a deposit or even the full price in advance when ordering their queens.
They are notified by e-mail when the queens are posted to their address and they pay for the consignment after arrival.
A queen, found dead on arrival, has to be returned in the unopened travelling cage with her attendants and does not have to be paid for.

Regards
Reiner

Last edited:
Could have been stolen at Thiefrow?.......
sure that is what happens to the eBuy stuff that I order from East of Java!

I bought and collected a number of Queens this week from a well known UK reputable supplier.
Upon introduction a couple of hours later, I found that 2 Queens were dead.
I telephoned that supplier to be informed 'not our responsibility, there were alive when they left here'.

Buyer Beware!

I bought and collected a number of Queens this week from a well known UK reputable supplier.
I telephoned that supplier to be informed 'not our responsibility, there were alive when they left here'.

Buyer Beware!

Normal terms are live arrival. Have never dealt with anyone who only works on live at time of sending. However, a few have variable carriage options, and sometimes the cheapest way is 'at buyers risk' and clearly stated to be so.

If, as seems to be the case, these queens originate within the EU they should not be caught at customs.

"I bought and collected a number of Queens this week from a well known UK reputable supplier.
I telephoned that supplier to be informed 'not our responsibility, there were alive when they left here'."

Buyer Beware!

By the sounds of it they were alive when you brought them and introduced them, you must have even handled them to remove the attendants. Also not quite sure what happened with your 2 hour intro. Looks more like your manner of introduction was at fault rather than the supplier!!!!!

BEWARE THE SUPPLIER:hairpull:

Ian

Ian

They were dead upon examination prior to introduction.
The cages were in the passenger footwell on the journey home. No hot or cold air being blown over them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back