Buy or make a bee escape?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a problem with a Crown Board with Porter escapes which I assume has been wrongly manufactured:
It is not made so that it can sit flush on the Brood Frames. I.e. its impossible to use it without a gap between brood and super above.

See photo attached from which shows that the top frames of the brood frames overhang the frame of the crown board.
Any advice
That's correct, there should be a gap; what's the problem with that?

I have a problem with a Crown Board with Porter escapes which I assume has been wrongly manufactured:
It is not made so that it can sit flush on the Brood Frames. I.e. its impossible to use it without a gap between brood and super above.

See photo attached from which shows that the top frames of the brood frames overhang the frame of the crown board.
Any advice

Any advice

Ideally the framework for the crownboard should be 19mm battens all round, top and bottom, these dimensions won't overlap the frames.

19mm wide battens will and should overlap the frames on the inside.
I was thinking more about the side walls, but yes you are correct, by about 6mm each end. If it is an issue then all that needs to be done is crack the crownboard open with the hive tool and then slightly twist the crownboard and off it comes.

Back