Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

Nannysbees 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Not counting my chickens just yet but what's the best way to clear the bees from supers if you are lucky enough to have honey. Should I buy a bee escape or have you clever beeks made them yourselves. We have the small escapes for the national but one of our colonies is very successful so I thought one with more exits may be quicker, what are your thoughts and which do you use?

Murox 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
There are some pictures somewhere on the forum of rhombus escapes mounted on clearer boards. As has been said elsewhere just buy a rhombus escape and temporarily pin it over the central hole in a feeder board.

jenkinsbrynmair 

International Beekeeper of Mystery
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
There are some pictures somewhere on the forum of rhombus escapes mounted on clearer boards. As has been said elsewhere just buy a rhombus escape and temporarily pin it over the central hole in a feeder board.
Here - it's one I made earlier 😁 I used an apiguard eke (a few pieces of 2x1" PAR will suffice) and a piece of 5mm ply
rhombus1.jpgrhombus2.jpg

pargyle 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Not counting my chickens just yet but what's the best way to clear the bees from supers if you are lucky enough to have honey. Should I buy a bee escape or have you clever beeks made them yourselves. We have the small escapes for the national but one of our colonies is very successful so I thought one with more exits may be quicker, what are your thoughts and which do you use?
Rhombus bee escape . Cut it in two and mount each half in diagonally opposed corners of your clearer board ... I have 25mm holes for them to escape through. Put the clearer on in the evening, supers clear by morning. You don't get many returning either ...

I have some with the holes in the centre and used as intended and they work but I seem to get a very quick result with them in the corner.

I think JBM put a photo of his up on here a week or two ago in another thread on clearing supers.

Edit: There you go - your wish is JBM's command.... needs no more !

jenkinsbrynmair 

International Beekeeper of Mystery
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
We have the small escapes for the national but one of our colonies is very successful so I thought one with more exits may be quicker
Those Porter bee escapes are awful, and the newest ones with plastic springs, even worse. Just make one with a rhombus escape and be done with.
for information, most of mine are as my previous post with the rhombus split in two. I have one 'traditional' rhombus clearer board with the intact escape over a 1" hole in the centre of the board and it seems to clear the supers just as fast.

Nannysbees 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Those Porter bee escapes are awful, and the newest ones with plastic springs, even worse. Just make one with a rhombus escape and be done with.
for information, most of mine are as my previous post with the rhombus split in two. I have one 'traditional' rhombus clearer board with the intact escape over a 1" hole in the centre of the board and it seems to clear the supers just as fast.
Thank you, yes I agree they are awful had numerous issues with them. I'll have a look for you post, that's great thank you

madasafish 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
6 to 8 Langstroth jumbos, a few Langstroth and National nucs.
Rhombus bee escapes cut in two - as above- are ideal for me. I have several crownboards with built in eke below set up just for clearing.

drdrday 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I made one of the vortex bee escapes on the Dave Cushman site a couple of years ago:
I made it mainly because I already had everything I needed, and without a bee supplies shop close by it was better than paying more in postage than a couple of rhombus escapes were worth if I bought them online.
It works really well, but now that I could do with a second escape board I'll probably just make one up from halved rhombus escapes like most have recommended.

Last edited:

Swarm 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
more than 30, less than 100.
I tried some of Poly hive's design with the rhombus cut in half, they are ok but no quicker or better than a normal rhombus on a centre hole, I drill a 38mm hole in my boards. You can convert your 'normal' twin porter board by sealing the outer hole, piece of ply, gaffer tape each side etc and locate the rhombus over the other hole.

hemo 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
6-10
I made one of the vortex bee escapes on the Dave Cushman site a couple of years ago:
I made it mainly because I already had everything I needed, and without a bee supplies shop close by it was better than paying more in postage than a couple of rhombus escapes were worth if I bought them online.
It works really well, but now that I could do with a second escape board I'll probably just make one up from halved rhombus escapes like most have recommended.
Quite a fancy set up so I had to have a go, I made a couple about 10/11 years ago and the bees clear quickly.

Latest posts