bursting apidea

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixFooter

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I set up some mininucs a while ago and all the bees moved to an apidea at one end. The queen in this is now laying, but the apidea is bursting at the seems with bees. What should I do as presumably, if they havent got much room, they'll swarm?

what was the original plan when you were setting up the mini nuc's?

can you achieve this with your newly mated queen?

If so, do so, then (if you don't need further use of the apidea) combine the bees in the apidea with a colony that needs extra bees.....

to do this I'd remove the crown board of the colony you want to unite the apidea with, apply newspaper to the top, add an empty super above the newspaper, empty the apidea bees into this super and re-close the hive, they'll soon sort themselves out

if you plan on using the apidea again, same method, but don't completely empty the apidea of bees

just my thoughts......

what was the original plan when you were setting up the mini nuc's?

can you achieve this with your newly mated queen?

If so, do so, then (if you don't need further use of the apidea) combine the bees in the apidea with a colony that needs extra bees.....

I was going to make a nuc for sale, but I havent got many bees due to swarming so I dont want to make up a frame nuc at the moment.

I think I'll move them into a KB mini nuc without the feeder to give them a bit more room.

Move the apidea 3 feet per day to be near another hive. Then move it to the other side of the hive. Flying bees will return to find the apidea gone and will go into the main hive, thus removing the flying bees. This will bide you some time and the flying bees - although few, will strengthen the other colony.

OR get anther apidea as they will stack. (Assuming you have that brand)

Latest posts

Back