Burnett 14x12 extension kit

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winker

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Ok its my first year as a Beek and i can already see that want to shift up to a 14X12 brood box.

At the moment i have a Standard Natonal BB and seen that you can add Burnett 14x12 extension kit to the bottom of the Standard Natonal frames to make them fIt the 14x12 BB.

My question is: Does any one have experance of these Burnett 14x12 extension kit's? Are they any good or is there a better way to make the move from a Standard Natonal BB to a 14x12 BB?

if you are not doing a shook swarm or bailey change you can just let them draw wild comb under the old brood frames, it can be difficult to inspect in hot weather but then the frames extensions are not that easy to add either

take out a few brood frames and replace on edge with 14x12 and remove any store frames and cut out theses old stores and feed to them above the crown board so they draw the 14x12

but i would do a shook swarm onto one open brood standard frame with Q and 10 foundation, the old brood frame become either your drone frame underneath or varroa lure frame then removed

Last edited:
I initially used a spare super, then a couple of ekes, with both working fine, as long as you are careful if moving the whole brood box.
I have since used one of the T*****s kits, and it fits much more securely, having a lip which slots under the standard deep box.

I agree on replacing the frames gradually, and leaving them to make wild comb under the others. I use it for varroa control as most of it is drone brood.
The little frame extensions are mostly a waste of time i think, and take up most of the extra space with the frame anyway.

Hi Winker,
I'm going to do the very same thing myself this week. I've been advised to put the new 14 x 12 brood on top of my standard national, with no QE between the two, then once HM moves up and starts laying, make sure she is in the top (14x12) box and put a QE underneath. When the brood in the bottom (standard national) has hatched, I will remove it. I'd not thought of putting the stores up above the crown board to give them a feed, sounds like a good one so I think I'll do it.
If you choose a different method, perhaps we can compare notes and see what the differences are. My only worry about my method is that my girls were a recent swarm so have already drawn out a national box (which they did in nine days!) and now I'm asking them to draw out a 14 x 12. I could just be being a bit soppy here and they may be perfectly capable of doing that and more! Anyway, best of luck and let us know how you get on.

I am transitioning from Nationals to 14x12 brood bodies and bought a National-to-14x12 frame conversion kit from the usual suspect. Conversion eke from another source.

I seriously wonder if I will ever use that kit - Oakbear and Muswell Metro make practical points about surviving the change without conversion of frames, with which I wholly concur. I just get on with the inspection, keeping the brace comb under the remaining National frames as vertical as possible as I handle it.

The kit would be more trouble than it's worth, in my view - keep your hard earned cash for another bee-venture would be my advice.

Latest posts

Back