• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Burco Boiler on ebay

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had one of these for the washing when I first got married - they are really good. I suppose they are good for boiling equipment??

I gave one of these away on Freecycle a couple of months back.

Reason was it was Gas and I managed to get a 30L electric tea urn.

Is a tea urn suitable? DO you need to create a stand to keep anything you put in away from the element or do thee things now have enclosed elements, like kettles?

the tea urn i have has a sealed element that makes the bottom inside flat and holds 30 litres of water at any resonable temp, what i realy need is a stainless steel box to fit inside it that is fairly flat and thin so i can make wax sheets with it

This heater wouldn't have cost £30 brand new and is hardly an antique :D

There is no heat control to speak of . The elements are about 2"x5", clamped to the base in rows ,are connected in series parallel ,switched by the four position switch .Replacement elements would be difficult to obtain :mixed-smiley-005:
All in all you would be paying £100 plus for an old galvanised tub on legs .

John Wilkinson

Got mine on freecycle but mine is electric, not gas.
Good and sturdy and does the job.

Spotted a 45 Litre Burco Boiler on ebay.

I am NOT the seller, price a bit steep. But then you don't see many around these days

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BURCO-HUGE-45...3?pt=UK_BOI_Restaurant_RL&hash=item3a5f3f40fd

Blimey 120 smackers or more - madnes - and going up no doubt. I got mine for nothing by registering on the local FREECYCLE site and putting endless wanted ads on and keeping my peepers open for offers. Got an offer but it is pot luck. Gave a couple of pots of honey in return - not strictley legal under the terms of the site but, hey, who will tell on me?

QUOTE]
Gave a couple of pots of honey in return - not strictley legal under the terms of the site but, hey, who will tell on me?[/quote]

ME!! :reddevil::reddevil:

John Wilkinson:D

I found my old gas Burco to be a pain,I never liked leaving it on its own with gas running while the electric one I have has a thermostat.
If It had been electric I would of kept it.

The reason I gave it away on Freecycle was because I managed to get a very good petrol mower(Mountfield) after saying I was a Beekeeper and needed it for around the hives so an electric mower was not possible.

I even had to turn a couple of mowers away.
Freecycle is really good,just remember to offer something back for good kama.

QUOTE]
Gave a couple of pots of honey in return - not strictley legal under the terms of the site but, hey, who will tell on me?

ME!! :reddevil::reddevil:

John Wilkinson:D[/QUOTE]

There's always one!!!!!!

I have one of these

I was given one the same as advertised last year. It is my most valuable piece of equipment.I use it to provide boiling water for extracting. Water for warming honey for filtration and bottling. Boiling water for mixing syrup. ( Half a bucket of sugar covered in boiling water for Autumn feeding. 1 25kg bag of sugar from Bookers makes approx 7 gallons of feed). Finally boiling frames in washing soda to clean them up. (This works a treat but the boiler takes some cleaning afterwards). I am dreading the day when it stops working. Where would you buy a new element or a new boiler for that matter. The 'Elf & Safety' lot seem to have banned them from the market! (or am I paranoid and mis-informed)????:banghead:

I use an electric Burco (got for £1 ) with elements in the water to boil frames up. I just bring to the boil switch off and soak and scrub. If I need to boil them the frames float so dont rest on the element.

Back