Bumping the queen off

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
30+
Hi all,
What is the most humane way of bumping off the queen? Might sound a daft question but I prefer looking after bee rather than killing them. :svengo:

Match box in freezer she goes into a sleep she doesn't recover from !

John Wilkinson

Hi Neil

Like Victor i froze some and the last queen like Veg i did it quickly.

I didnt like the idea of slicing off heads or squashing them under my hivetool, however this is probably the kindest method, its most certainly the quickest.
Freezing is clean and less brutal, most people like the idea that they drift off to sleep, only thing with that is its a long process and she is quite possibly uncomfortable while she cools. just a thought.

Crush between fingers

human way: take some vodka and drive with car on her

Last edited:
Other way - take some vodka and drive in car with her. Stay off A roads and motorways. Drive only on Bee roads. Death will be quick.

Sorry Finman, I just couldn't resist! :)

I agree a squeeze that is quick is slick. All these people transporting queens around all day only to pop them in the freezer when they get home for tea and getting into trouble when the wife demonstrates her displeasure. How much fun is that?

PS what happened to your famous signature? It's not the same with nothing to paraphrase! :grouphug:

if you pop her in the freezer you have her for the days you need but cannot find your queen,,, I have heard pin her on the top bar of a frame close up the hive for 10 mins or so then reopen and you should find your live queen trying to do in your frozen one.....

Hi, I have been reading this forum for a while but this is my first post. Bumping off the old queen is my biggest worry. I cant kill anything and feel really guilty when I kill a moth or bug when I am driving so doing away with fairly large insect is going to be tough. Call me soft but chopping heads off is not me. It will haunt me if I witness it. What about putting her is an airtight jar or is that going to hurt? I have not got my bees yet by the way, I am hoping for a swarm. I am all ready to go and I have also put some lure in my hive.

Air tight jar- will live for ages, malnutrition and dehydration will kill :ack2:

When you finally get your bees and reopen the hive after your second inspection remember this post :)
I am so very careful, and hate trapping a bee - but am always saddened when I see how many I have accidentally squashed on replacing boxes.
Toughen up or ship out - as, sadly -you WILL kill:svengo:

Last edited:
You could always use ether....easiest way to get it, is in a can of easystart for cars (which is almost purely ether)...about £2.50-£3 from halfords or whereever. Just spray it onto a pad of kitchen towel at the bottom of a jar, should work in seconds by putting them to sleep.

Just dont sniff it yourself...... to convoluted for me though.

Last edited:
Just squash her its the easiest and quickest and doesnt involve any chemicals. As said earlier you will squash bees if you become a beekeeper. :cheers2:

For goodness sake. Crunchie crunchie and get on with the next hive.

PH

Madame Guillotine De-Wellington .
Quick and easy .
Must admit I've used the freezer technique on occasion .

John Wilkinson .
Nature isn't cruel , it isn't kind.
It's indifferent !!.

If I'm feeling sentimental (and there's got to be a first time for everything!) I'll get my husband to squish Her Majesty should the need arise. It's got to be the kindest thing, as she'll be dead before she realises what's happening.

Quick, painless, and something to bring up in marital arguments. Perfect!

Hi, Think in your case if you ever have to do this procedure it might be easier to dump the queen some were away from the hive and let nature take it’s course.

Latest posts

Back