Bumblebee nest in spare hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
1 Nat & 1 WBC
Sorry, no photos...but went to check on the bees yesterday and found, in a spare nuc complete with frames, what looked like a small bumblebees nest. There were grubs in the nest, i.e. approx 6 - 12 cells / grubs could be seen (didn't want to keep it open too long), the cells were no sealed, though think the lid of the poly nuc might have acted as the 'top' of cells - so maybe openning it up split open the cells. Not too sure.

The 'nest' was on the top of the frames in the nuc. I checked out images on google for possible suspects and bumblebees seemed the obvious squatter.

I am more than happy to leave them there till they no longer require the nuc, but does anybody know when that will be?

Thanks in advance

Sally

Depends on the species- if you can get some photos at the entrance, that would help.

Hi Sally! If they're bumblebees...until Septemberish.

Can you post a photo - depending, you might be able to 'slice' the nest off and fit it into another equiv container in the same position.

edit
skyhook's correct but i always seem to come across 'buff tailed bumblebees' in these situations.

Last edited:
Whatever the species they will be gone by winter.

If it was me I'd just leave them there.

Chris

You could relocate them but best left if possible. If you need a nuc could you borrow one for now. As stated above will be gone by Sep/Oct.

Thanks folks.
Will try to get photos when over there this weekend (if they are oblige). I am happy for them to stay as long as they wish, I just don't want to disturb them. Hopefully I haven't already done so!

Thank you

Sally

Latest posts

Back