Bumble Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithgrimes

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Since installing a hive in the garden I have noticed a significantly larger number of bumble bees mooching about the vicinity. Is this a coincidence, or my imagination, or something about the honey bee hive that is attracting the bumblers?

Its just this year, a bumper year for bumble bees and a pain the backside for me, not because thier bumble bees, but folk cannot tell the difference tween furry bees and wasps....

I'm so glad you've said that Meryl, i've been saying to my parents consitently that there appears to be a lot of bumble bees about but they keep dismissing me!

Lots of bumble bees around this year; more than I've ever seen - I also wondered if it was hive-related!

It was obvious by April with loads of queens exploring- much more than previous years.

Same here : lots more bumbles. Hard winters mean more flowers round here: and later ones... .
We have also lots more young sparrows and long tailed tits: I assume later spring means more insect feed...

A lot to do with going back to older seasonal rythms : in my view.

Its just this year, a bumper year for bumble bees and a pain the backside for me, not because thier bumble bees, but folk cannot tell the difference tween furry bees and wasps....

haha, I've had 5 emails and 3 referrals from the council about bumble bees in the last two weeks. Over all since the start of Spring

2 bee swarms ( I collected them)
14 bumble bee nests (massive swarms :smilielol5: according to one gentleman I spoke with)
3 wasp nests (advised to contact their local council)

Come on all you bee swarms your lagging behind...
:boxing_smiley:

Mike, or anyone else for that matter, if you get a wasp nest dont refer to the council. Most councils have a couple of pest controllers working for them full time and a waiting list as long as my arm. They dont put wasp nests to the top of the list either, they just get bunged on the end and some poor people have to wait a month before its done.

So without trying to advertise, please ask people to google "wasp control UK" they will come across my uk wide site, all they need do is pop the first part of thier postcode into the box and that will tell them who thier local pest conroller is.

Most of us listed try to do the nests on the same day as we are called.

There is a bee swarm collectors list on there too.

Mike, or anyone else for that matter, if you get a wasp nest dont refer to the council. Most councils have a couple of pest controllers working for them full time and a waiting list as long as my arm. They dont put wasp nests to the top of the list either, they just get bunged on the end and some poor people have to wait a month before its done.

So without trying to advertise, please ask people to google "wasp control UK" they will come across my uk wide site, all they need do is pop the first part of thier postcode into the box and that will tell them who thier local pest conroller is.

Most of us listed try to do the nests on the same day as we are called.

There is a bee swarm collectors list on there too.
hows your season going, i`ve had a few wasp jobs more than last year and a couple from your site :cheers2:

Exellent! Its still early really, next month will be the real kick off! Nests are a couple of weeks behind because of that cold snap in the spring.

I am doing better than most from what i can make out, but, i do have a cracking website, that makes all the difference!

_MG_41591resize.jpg

Latest posts

Back