Bumble bee removal

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcusm427

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
4 + 2 nuc
Hi Guys
Just need some advise, dad and i have been doing alot of swarm removals and doing our best to educate the public and to make something of them. Its taken alot of Nuc boxes.
We have coped very well with swarms under floors, in walls, in chimneys where ever u could imagin. We have been charging for all services other than collecting a prime.

We recieved a call from a builder who was desperatley wanting a bumble bee colony removed and re-homed as the client wouldn't let work start until they were safe.

Its nice the public are starting to get the message!

Any way Some advise on how to remove and re-site. They are easy to get to and were quite compitant but not had much to do with bumbel bees.

Cheers

m

I have had to move a few this year - from lofts etc.

If it isn't urgent ask them to wait a week or two as the bees will be disappearing soon anyway
If you HAVE to move them , gently expose the nest- it looks like a small mass of white maltesers. Slide a spade under and lift the nest into a box. Allow the bees to settle in the box that evening- then close up and remove to a new site- maybe under a hedge. Cover with leaves to give shelter.

I had to climb into a loft- on a baking hot day, wearing a bee suit. I located the nest, removed the revolting loft insulation. gently put the nest into a box, sealed and clambered back out of the loft. The old man gave me £1 for my trouble!!

Cheers and thank you very much very helpful.

The builder is desperate for it to be moved.

i appricate your time.

m

Latest posts

Back