Bulk purchasing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
It's a fairly fluid thing.... more than 10, less than 15
Anyone had experience with buying in bulk for local BKAs? We have heard some associations do it and interested to see if it’s worthwhile or a total PITA.
I’m thinking just the quick moving volume items everyone needs and buys regularly - frames, foundation, supers, fondant, feeders….
Is there a good enough saving buying in bulk from one supplier?
What are the pitfalls?
Storage?
Insurance?
Thanks……

Anyone had experience with buying in bulk for local BKAs? We have heard some associations do it and interested to see if it’s worthwhile or a total PITA.
I’m thinking just the quick moving volume items everyone needs and buys regularly - frames, foundation, supers, fondant, feeders….
What are the pitfalls?
Storage?
Insurance?
Thanks……
We did it for frames and foundation@:pia
Do it regularly for jars: pay in advance, collect on day or forfeit: no real issues but big storage needed.

Providing the discount is similar to what folk can get in the sales.
The real pitfall is humans- it's all sherry and giggles until someone...
You will need robust management to prevent self destruct of the scheme.

I’ve seen some bulk buy seconds and offer all season at a small mark up. It’s a good idea if storage is available. Let’s face it it’s not uncommon for clubs to have funds sitting there not doing a lot.

What are the pitfalls?
Storage?
Insurance?
Thanks……
We have an association bulk order for foundation each year. We also have bulk buying of jars with lids. Being relatively close to abelo there's easy access to other materials at generally reasonable prices. Being a mostly rural area many of our members have farm outbuildings for storage. One of our members also regularly buys an ibc of invert and sells some to other members if they take a suitable container.

Keep it simple or it risks becoming a royal pita.

There are three basic ways to do it:

The club decides to hold stock of agreed items [eg jars, lids, feed] for members who can buy any qty anytime.

The club buys the above seasonally using individuals requirements and commitments to purchase.

A member offers to buy bulk for members but it is a private matter not club related - no club involvement.

I've done the third many times and frankly, its a royal pain in the arse and have some real horror stories like a guy shouting and swearing down the phone at me accusing me of all sorts until I emailed him back his original email order............ the nugget! Frankly, I'll never do it again its just too much grief.

Option 1 & 2 is another burden on a poor committee member as well. And people "forget" between order placement and delivery.

But..... some clubs run cracking systems and long may it continue.

Latest posts

Back