• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Bulk jars purchase

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hedgerow pete

Queen Bee
Reaction score
UK, Birmingham, Sandwell. Pork scratching Bandit c
Hive Type
National
since we are getting a little messy lets put a few ideas down,

firstly a date for the collection and distribution of the said jars, how about the second weekend in June, i am not to fussed when and what is wanted but its a starting point

next will be size , lets stick to a simple round 12OZ with caps and seals , but if you differant say so

lets try quanities say each box is one gross and we dont split any lower than that, i dont want the hassel of delivering 10 jars somewhere,

delivery route how about this idea
from the collection point we load the van up and then we deliver to three or four spots where anyone comes to collect, say one south , portsmouth ,second bristol /gloucester, third birmingham and last "oooop noth"
how about Catteric, we can meet people on the way round at there areas

the delivery will take place over two weekend days maybe the same weekend or two differant weekend

what does your opinions say to this great plan

Your going to drive from Portsmouth to Catterick delivering jars,bang in the middle of the swarming season,you must be off your trolley.

Last edited:
HP, you asked for an opinion,thats mine,it is just not a financially viable idea.

the cost of the jars are cheaper than i can buy so that works and delivery can be reduced by merging with other transport dutys again reducing costs, so yes it does make economic sense, but only if a pallet or evan two is ordered by the group involved

delivery route how about this idea
from the collection point we load the van up and then we deliver to three or four spots where anyone comes to collect, say one south , portsmouth ,second bristol /gloucester, third birmingham and last "oooop noth"
how about Catteric, we can meet people on the way round at there areas

What about a point for the S.E (Kent/London/Essex/Surrey/Sussex) etc :confused:

HP, you asked for an opinion,thats mine,it is just not a financially viable idea.

The way I see it it is only a suggestion and as you say Hivemaker, what may be financially sensible for one, may not be for another either as a 'distributor' or a collector. In any case its only a suggestion and people can choose to be a part of it or not depending on their own individual circumstances. :driving:

bee-smillie

Ribbles - absolutely, we need to think about all areas.

I'm awaiting for admin to consider the new co-op area so we can put this together better.

Obviously, if individuals want bulk amounts they will benefit more even if there is a petrol/diesel/delivery charge. If people only want a box, then it is best to leave that with the local drop off point for that individual to collect.

Pete - personally I'd go for 1lb jars every time, but again if the volumes are ok, we could buy both sizes.

We also need to consider payment etc as I can't imagine any jar supplier giving us a line of credit !

My association used to buy jars by the lorry load. They gave up in the end as people wanted different sized jars different shapes and so on. So try and keep it as simple as possible. :cheers2:

the size and jar type i would prefere to be one size only maxium two but never any more

the second point about money is easy pay up front before we send someone down to collect the jars from where ever, in that way it is serious buyers only as i have been had several times before doing something like , so cash up front within a time period before collection and then, who ever goes either pays cash on collection or bank transfer a day or so before

transport, i would suggest this as a starter find out who wants what and where secondly find out who willing to travel and how far, at the moment i am planning on doing a lot of sea fishing next year and will be traveling to pompey several times and my big sister is moving to catteric which is close enough to whitby to justify going up north to visit family of course, all we need to do now is find a victim sorry volunteer that for work or family reasons is going to be driving from say bristol down to cornwall, on the collection weekend, and same with the east corner i have family in cambridge so i can meet up with people on the a14 or at new market, we just need to find another volunteer going m4 east either for work or family reasons.

costs of petrol, since iam going that way anyway its all ready covered all i was going to ask was if people would bung say a £5 on top towards the cost, if there is mant drops may be i will charge less say ten drops from brum to southampton well for me thats £50 return feul so if every one chipped in say £3 not £5 i will still be better of and happy to do the delivery run

my bird food supplier goes to club meetings once a month (normally held in a pub! :cheers2: )
He goes to a different area once or twice a week. (not sure how many areas)

Something similar (less often!) could be done with jars, sugar and fondant and\or any other staples.

If sufficiant quantities are purchased the manufacturers themselves can be contacted for greater discount.

A LWB Sprinter (for example) can hold approximately 6 half height pallets. Even if commitment from beeks exceed this, manufacturers are often flexible enough for an arrangement can be made for a number of pickups. Only commitment is required.
Although there may be enough people for an arctic, multipoint drop deliveries are not normally economical

it is all in forecast\commitments\logistics.... My wife is a planning manager for a large Dairy company. Who says I don't listen to her!?! :hat:

my 2 cents is it is a great idea... the only issue I can see is many people do not like commitment.

a very true and valid point pete, what i am going to do is set a date to have people show intrest and then to pay up front, only once the cash is in is the wheels going to roll, a very long story cut short 6 people buying egg boxs 5 dropped out i now have 600 egg boxs upstairs all at my own cost as well. so prove your in and put your names down lets see a show of hands

a deposit could be sufficiant... there is one thing worse than committing, it is losing money. Once a (non refundable) deposits down, 'normally' it is honoured

As Somerford Steve saw last night, Storage is not a problem! :hat: (no need to harrass 'er indoors!)

My work lets me use the beat up sprinter any time, which could probably take 6 pallets...

I will talk to my other half. She knows a great deal about purchasing, logistics and distribution.
.... hhhmmm... There is even a possibilty she may have contacts in the food industry that sells jars and sugar!! :)

I could be up for a couple of gross, and can shift a couple of pallets anywhere along the M3/M4 without too much bother...

hi all, im looking at buying 12 gross at least, my local ass. will be doing a bulk buy in jan/ feb ( i think) when will your's be?? interested tho.

Tb

Back