Bulgaria

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike27

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Just returned from a break in Bulgaria, stayed at a freinds house in Dryanovo near Veliko Tarnovo, they have a web site WWW.GESHAVIEW . Lots of rural properties in the area, and lots of people live off the land, it was very interesting when walking in the country side to see so many households with beehives in their gardens, I have taken some intersting photo's of hives, quite unusual types, some have a sliding entrance reducer instead of the insert that we use, I will download these pictures next time, I bought some black honey from a beekeeper which tastes like treacle with a similar texture, have any members here experienced Bulgaria way of life.
Mike

Last edited:
Mike, I occasionally get a lot of black honey at the end of september (which smells of figs?)
I've been told it's probably 'honeydew' collected from tree aphids.
Richard

Hi
Just type in the google bar Geshaview it will come up, its an eco village being developed by an english man David Hollands from Bournemouth

Did some research on Bulgarian Honey producers, the biggest one Sitza have 1,000.00 of hives along the danube, a lot of honey is produced by small producers and collected for processing, big business

Regards Mike

black honey

at end of september our bees were feasting on the drops of nectar at the bases of over ripe figs (and being feasted on by hornets in turn).

drstitson

.... my figs barely ripened this year...let alone start "exuding drops of nectar"

On the plus side, Hornets haven't made it past Biggin Hill yet!

Dishmop

Yes, I just thought it apt..... because of the similarity between Hornets and Mosquitoes!

Richard

Latest posts

Back