Built national hive incorrectly so water now directed inwards

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markreynolds

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi. I'm a new beekeeper, and I've just finished construction my first pine, national hive. I was staining it earlier today, when I noticed I'd incorrectly attached the small side piece upside down, so now water will be directed toward the hive. It's been really tightly secured with excess nails & wood glue. My understanding is that it would be OKish for the bees, but it will mean there's greater chance of water damage so it probably won't last as long - is this correct?

(The attached picture identifies the piece I've put in incorrectly. )

Would appreciate any advice on next steps.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-06-27 at 20.41.47.png
    Screenshot 2021-06-27 at 20.41.47.png
    249.6 KB · Views: 39
Hi. I'm a new beekeeper, and I've just finished construction my first pine, national hive. I was staining it earlier today, when I noticed I'd incorrectly attached the small side piece upside down, so now water will be directed toward the hive. It's been really tightly secured with excess nails & wood glue. My understanding is that it would be OKish for the bees, but it will mean there's greater chance of water damage so it probably won't last as long - is this correct?

(The attached picture identifies the piece I've put in incorrectly. )

Would appreciate any advice on next steps.
You mean back to front - so the chamfer points down towards the side of the hive ? You need to rectify this as water will collect in the gully it has formed.

If you can't remove it and replace it correctly make a fillet of timber to match the existing fillet and glue it on the top of the existing piece to fill the gully and allow the water to drain away from the front of the hive. If your woodworking skills are not up to it buy a tin of car body filler from Toolstation (under a fiver) and fill the gully giving it a slight slope down away from the hive.

https://www.toolstation.com/search?q=car body filler

Or you could just drill a couple of drainage holes from the outside of the bar up into the " gully" . Not a perfect fix, but would help

Go to Wickes or any DIY place. Buy some wood filler. (exterior grade) # . Fill in gaps and make it slope the correct way. When dry and hard, sand roughly then paint.

No hassle , a bodge but very easy (see my strapline!)

# Make sure it is not the "no more than 10mms deep until it hardens and then apply another layer" type

Those bottom rails on a national also have a bee space rebate so that would mean a bee space gap either end, another water issue.

Thanks for all of the advice! I used some wood filler to fill in the rebate and angle the bar so waters directed away from the hive.

Slightly random question, but I'm looking to buy a nuc and am slightly confused at how I'll actually reccive them? I've seen quotes for ~£150 for 5 frames nucs; generally would that include the price of a nuc box or would I need to bring one to pick them up?

Thanks for all of the advice! I used some wood filler to fill in the rebate and angle the bar so waters directed away from the hive.

Slightly random question, but I'm looking to buy a nuc and am slightly confused at how I'll actually reccive them? I've seen quotes for ~£150 for 5 frames nucs; generally would that include the price of a nuc box or would I need to bring one to pick them up?

I think it's fair to assume that the price includes the box, unless the advert specifically says otherwise.

Having said that, most adverts do specify what kind of box they come in e.g. wood, poly, correx (or include a photo of the box in question). If the advert you have seen doesn't, it's worth double checking.

Depends on supplier for that price I’m thinking you’d buying of a hobbyist. Most nowadays supply in a correx travel box at least. Just call and find out.

I think it's fair to assume that the price includes the box, unless the advert specifically says otherwise.

...it's still worth checking and wouldn't be a daft question. Up here I've seen a couple of different producers who ask you to bring your own nuc box; one of them requires you to bring your box and leave it for later collection so that they can get the bees to settle. For an absolute beginner there may be a benefit to that; if the transfer box is big enough to allow for some expansion, the new beekeeper needn't get hands-on with bees straight away.

Back