Building a better wasp trap

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Millet's slide in tunnel entrances win every time. Simple to make and incredibility effective if you have a weak hive.
However, the best wasp defence is a strong hive.

I think Millet's slide in tunnel entrances win every time. Simple to make and incredibility effective if you have a weak hive.
However, the best wasp defence is a strong hive.
Are there any pictures of the side in tunnel entrances, I would be interested to have a look. I tried shielding the entrance with a board last year, but it wasn’t very successful. The bees did manage to fight the wasps off though. The battles were brutal.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_3f1.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_3f1.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 66
Are there any pictures of the side in tunnel entrances, I would be interested to have a look. I tried shielding the entrance with a board last year, but it wasn’t very successful. The bees did manage to fight the wasps off though. The battles were brutal.

Why don’t you pm him.
I’m sure he would be delighted to email you the pictures. They used to be on the forum but disappeared

Excellent. If you start a new thread I’ll make it a sticky

Robin Dartington had tunnel entrances on some of his early long deep hives back in the 1980's and then later on changed to underfloor entrances ...

Nothing new in beekeeping even when you think you've invented it !

Robin Dartington had tunnel entrances on some of his early long deep hives back in the 1980's and then later on changed to underfloor entrances ...

:iagree:
Yes, that’s the thing. I like my underfloor entrances and all my nucs are on them. I can even dummy those down to one bee space so that I have a long tunnel entrance. Win win.
The useful thing about Millet’s entrance blocks is that you can put them in an ordinary floor. I much prefer the UFE but a tunnel entrance is the next best thing if you don’t have UFE floors

Last edited:

JenksBM had pics / drwgs of his design underfloor entrances.... work very well.
Making another 70 in next few weeks.

Yes, that’s the thing. I like my underfloor entrances and all my nucs are on them. I can even dummy those down to one bee space so that I have a long tunnel entrance. Win win.
The useful thing about Millet’s entrance blocks is that you can put them in an ordinary floor. I much prefer the UFE but a tunnel entrance is the next best thing if you don’t have UFE floors
Please please please stop Quoting it i have it on my ignore list and every time i see the negative tripe aimed at me it gets my blood boiling..

Please please please stop Quoting it i have it on my ignore list and every time i see the negative tripe aimed at me it gets my blood boiling..

Then don’t read it
Water off a duck’s back
If more people ignored posts that they didn’t agree with this would be a better place
Just move on

Which part of the under floor entrance do you dummy down? Is it the wide open bit by the landing board or the vertical beespace that goes up into the brood box?

CVB

Which part of the under floor entrance do you dummy down? Is it the wide open bit by the landing board or the vertical beespace that goes up into the brood box?

CVB

The porch
When I make the floors I make an insert ( like an entrance block with no entrance) that can be slotted in sealing off the whole porch apart from one or two bee spaces at one end

JenksBM had pics / drwgs of his design underfloor entrances.... work very well.
Making another 70 in next few weeks.

I have added a batten rim to JBM's design with a rear entrance which allows me to sweep (using mini-paint roller sweeper) any dead bees from the OMF in winter. The latest version has a larger opening than that depicted.

Attachments

• IMG_0190.jpeg
    IMG_0190.jpeg
    283.7 KB · Views: 34
  • fullsizeoutput_3ee.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_3ee.jpeg
    486.5 KB · Views: 32
I have added a batten rim to JBM's design with a rear entrance which allows me to sweep (using mini-paint roller sweeper) any dead bees from the OMF in winter. The latest version has a larger opening than that depicted.

Thanks for that.... I went for a 9mm gap all along the front.

The strange thing is that I found an old hive ( National) floor that probably dates from the 50's ( has G Maddiver engraved into it) that had a sliding mesh floor with an underfloor/ gap entrance, where the complete floor could be slid out from the slot in the floor, also had a blanking plate that fitted under the floor.
Box of bits also had a travel screen, and as this predated varroa, must have been designed for moving bees?

Latest posts

Back