Build up time

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Comb

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
10+
One hive is a prime swarm given to me by another beek on 18th May. "Probably a 2008 queen - the markings have come off." They drew out the foundation and are now 6 frames of brood (I run 9 on jumbo l/s). and there are lots of bees.I had planned to find the queen and replace her with a newly mated one which is in a 2 frame nuc.

Today however they were in a foul mood and I found one sealed queen cell near the top of a frame. No other q cells present.

So, the question is (bearing in mind i am looking to increase) is there enough time left this season for the full colony to replace this queen with one which has yet to hatch and mate and at the same time the nuc to build up enough strength to get through the winter.?

Look forward to your advice.

Peter

So, the question is (bearing in mind i am looking to increase) is there enough time left this season for the full colony to replace this queen with one which has yet to hatch and mate and at the same time the nuc to build up enough strength to get through the winter.?

Look forward to your advice.

Peter[/QUOTE]
Sounds like supercedure - is the old queen still there? Anyway answering your questions (supercedure or not) I reckon theres plenty of time for both.
Guard the nuc from wasps by having a very small entrance if your feeding them later on this month

So, the question is (bearing in mind i am looking to increase) is there enough time left this season for the full colony to replace this queen with one which has yet to hatch and mate and at the same time the nuc to build up enough strength to get through the winter.

Yes and yes.

No time is 'lost' with supersedure. You might end up with two egg laying queens in the same hive before the old one is killed. But note ... supersedure can result in swarming.

Feed the nuc and perhaps give it a little sealed brood.

Latest posts

Back