Buckfast bees in Ieland

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
testing and monitoring apiary's across the country, and came across several hives that were biting and stripping the legs off varroa mites.

Similar findings and research ongoing with the Cornish AMM...... so far it would seem that the more "pure" the AMM ( as far as wing morphometry goes) the more hygienic the bees appear to be as to cleaning varroa, dealing with chalk brood...

My small apiary of NZ seem also to have hygienic behaviour... helped no doubt by good beekeeping practices, IPC etc..

( and treating any swarms coming into the orchard / garden with Vaporised OA before they get brood!)

As far as i know, hygienic bees are excellent at cleaning out cells and house keeping, but varroa resistant bees also target the adult mites that are outside the cells and being carried around on the bees . Fingers crossed

You may get hygienic bees quite easily, like many has made, but making varroa tolerant bees demands a huge work and mostly you will not get them.
So many guys tryed it but who has succeeded.

Professionals say that it is dangerous to select only according one feature.

Many hives clean mites contaminated brood and it means reduction of brood and foragers compared to chemical treatment.

As far as I know, no one breed in Finland hygienic bees.

Here is our breeding man http://www.saunalahti.fi/lunden/varroakertomus.htm

And another http://home.agrolink.net/so.ohlsson/fi/

Last edited:
Buckfast bees in Ireland

I have not received any replies to my original inquiry,however I am going to settle for the Buckfast bee, of which there are suppliers of fully adapted Buckfast bees in Ireland. I shall be able to avoid crosses with other varieties.

Last edited by a moderator:
No wonder because those AMM bees think the same about their nursers.

I have not received any replies to my original inquiry,however I am going to settle for the Buckfast bee, of which there are suppliers of fully adapted Buckfast bees in Ireland. I shall be able to avoid crosses with other varieties.

A massive generalisation and another fine example of 'tu quoque'.

Most beekeepers are just interested in bees and choice of bee can be down to many factors. Amm have their good points, pristine white cappings for one, and whilst I prefer Buckfast at the moment I have and will keep some Amm again. I will also keep other pure strains both for cross breeding and out of general interest.

From your 0-60 stance, I would doubt you are new to the debate - or that you will assist in any resolution.

I think the reason that you have not had any replies to your question, is that their is no buckfast beekeepers in south leinster. I dont think that anyone has mentioned whos bees are superior. The point that we were trying to get across to you, is how agressive your bees are going to get, if you cant keep your princeses away from native drones. All beekeepers agree on that.Personally i dont care what bees people keep, i just would not wish it on anyone, to have to deal with bees that i met when i started beekeping.
Good luck with your beekeeping.

A massive generalisation and another fine example of 'tu quoque'.

Most beekeepers are just interested in bees and choice of bee can be down to many factors. Amm have their good points, pristine white cappings for one, and whilst I prefer Buckfast at the moment I have and will keep some Amm again. I will also keep other pure strains both for cross breeding and out of general interest.

From your 0-60 stance, I would doubt you are new to the debate - or that you will assist in any resolution.

Well done PBee, marvelously perceptive, I reckon you've smoked out a bit of a flame :)

Simply so not true....

Well done PBee, marvelously perceptive, I reckon you've smoked out a bit of a flame :)

Posts edited regards the racist claims from sorbus.

Sorbus, please do not make claims of racism towards other beekeepers on this forum, just because of the strain of bee they choose to keep, it is unpleasant, offensive, twaddle, beekeepers are just passionate about the strain of bees they keep,not racist, and with the correct planning and consideration all generally get on well together.

This should put you in contact with the buckfast breeders

1st National Meeting of Buckfast Beekeepers in Ireland
The Irish Branch of the European Buckfast Beekeepers invites you to
A Lecture by Gilbert Bast including a Demonstration of the Use of the Equipment required
The New Improved State of 'Moonlight Mating'
The lecture will take place at the first meeting of Buckfast beekeepers in Ireland (Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland).
Beepark Centre, New Line, Manorhamilton, County Leitrim, Rep. of Ireland
Saturday, 12th April 2014
Beginning of Lecture: 15.00pm, followed by a discussion round with questions and answers
This is an opportunity to meet and get to know Buckfast beekeepers from our own and a wider area and, upon necessity, to form subgroups.
Gilbert Bast is one of the best known Buckfast breeders in Europe. His lecture will be about Gilbert's new version of the so-called 'moonlight mating' as practiced before by Joe Horner, a commercial bee breeder, New South Wales, Australia. Our Guest speaker started to use this method six years ago at his mating apiaries and has successfully modified the Joe Horner method in the last three years while still maintaining the underlying principle of CFTM = 'Controlled Flight Time Mating'. The original procedure was extremely time consuming and expensive. The same effect can now be achieved with much less effort. The cold storage building with a specific interior that had been an essential component is now no longer required.
The method is particularly suitable for beekeepers/breeders, who have to be aware of drones of other strains present in their mating area.
A controlled mating can be achieved at your home apiary (you do not have to have access to an isolated area or even an island) by using the right equipment and the appropriate procedure. It is also not necessary to keep a large number of colonies in order to flood the area with your drones.
Please let me know if you would like to participate and if accommodation is required. We have thought of a fee of 10.00 Euro for members of the IBBA and 15.00 Euro for non-members. If you had already answered to my first message, please, confirm.
Looking forward to hearing from you soon. Please, do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.
Kind regards,
Monika Edler

Irish Buckfast Beekeepers Association
affiliated to European Buckfast Beekeepers Association

Srabrick
Manorhamilton
Co. Leitrim
071-9855683
www.gdeb.eu
www.beekeeping.ie

This should put you in contact with the buckfast breeders

1st National Meeting of Buckfast Beekeepers in Ireland
The Irish Branch of the European Buckfast Beekeepers invites you to
A Lecture by Gilbert Bast including a Demonstration of the Use of the Equipment required
The New Improved State of 'Moonlight Mating'
The lecture will take place at the first meeting of Buckfast beekeepers in Ireland (Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland).
Beepark Centre, New Line, Manorhamilton, County Leitrim, Rep. of Ireland
Saturday, 12th April 2014

Beginning of Lecture: 15.00pm, followed by a discussion round with questions and answers
This is an opportunity to meet and get to know Buckfast beekeepers from our own and a wider area and, upon necessity, to form subgroups.
Gilbert Bast is one of the best known Buckfast breeders in Europe. His lecture will be about Gilbert's new version of the so-called 'moonlight mating' as practiced before by Joe Horner, a commercial bee breeder, New South Wales, Australia. Our Guest speaker started to use this method six years ago at his mating apiaries and has successfully modified the Joe Horner method in the last three years while still maintaining the underlying principle of CFTM = 'Controlled Flight Time Mating'. The original procedure was extremely time consuming and expensive. The same effect can now be achieved with much less effort. The cold storage building with a specific interior that had been an essential component is now no longer required.
The method is particularly suitable for beekeepers/breeders, who have to be aware of drones of other strains present in their mating area.
A controlled mating can be achieved at your home apiary (you do not have to have access to an isolated area or even an island) by using the right equipment and the appropriate procedure. It is also not necessary to keep a large number of colonies in order to flood the area with your drones.
Please let me know if you would like to participate and if accommodation is required. We have thought of a fee of 10.00 Euro for members of the IBBA and 15.00 Euro for non-members. If you had already answered to my first message, please, confirm.
Looking forward to hearing from you soon. Please, do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.
Kind regards,
Monika Edler

Irish Buckfast Beekeepers Association
affiliated to European Buckfast Beekeepers Association

Srabrick
Manorhamilton
Co. Leitrim
071-9855683
www.gdeb.eu
www.beekeeping.ie

If anyone is going to this meeting I for one would be interested in hearing more about the New Improved State of 'Moonlight Mating ' ?
Cheers
S

I'm trying to find a paper on Gilbert Bast latest CFTM any one here forward it to me if it's possible please?

Haha :D

I'm researching a old topic because I intended to try out the old method but I found this! But it doesn't go into detail so tried Google and found a little more but still not the full story.
So I'm after a link or text of the method.

I'm lucky that I have a good area to rear Queens.

Martin it's Soo true, we are!

Latest posts

Back