Buckfast Beekeepers Group

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norton

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Anew group has been formed for Buckfast beekeepers. Details at this link:

Edited to remove link.

Anew group has been formed for Buckfast beekeepers. Details at this link:

Hi norton

why didnt you ask Admin here to set up a Buckfast bees section on this forum. surely it would have been more successful as there are so many members on here already.

doug

WE want our own forum where we can discuss things in a constructive way without interference from individuals with a separate agenda and restrictions.

fair enough.

mind u i have 3 hives and defo 3 diff types of bees they are very diff in size, look and colours. mind you they are are really good tempered. i think its because of the fact that the chickens are in the same area.

WE want our own forum where we can discuss things in a constructive way without interference from individuals with a separate agenda and restrictions.

A good idea,free from Saboteurs.

fair enough.

mind u i have 3 hives and defo 3 diff types of bees they are very diff in size, look and colours. mind you they are are really good tempered. i think its because of the fact that the chickens are in the same area.
must be a bleddy big hive!!:biggrinjester:

So Norton am I thinking the super bee you often refer to and breed is a Buckfast type?

This is interesting to me as the more I learn the more I like the buckfast be, but I know I have to breed local bees and to try and maintain a particular strain in west London is not going to work.

So Norton am I thinking the super bee you often refer to and breed is a Buckfast type?

Tom a clue below..regards superbee.

Buckfast Superbee took its name from a departed Benedictine monk who lived in Buckfast, England, and was obsessed with bees. The band, named "Best Alternative Artist" at the 2000 San Diego Music Awards, crank out power pop-inspired punk rock on their second album, You Know How the Song Goes.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/you-know-how-the-song-goes-r524933

I have to say that they are not always the answer. I got a couple of Buckfast queens this year and they are not performing too well compared to locally reared ones, plus one of the hives has turned very, very angry.

I am sure this is always the case but I think I will stick to getting queens from my local association from now on.

I think I will stick to getting queens from my local association from now on.

Thats ok for people who can get bees from local association some do not have enough nucs or queens to go around.Some dont have bees with traits desired.

plus one of the hives has turned very, very angry.

I have a buckfast hive that is off the scale with Anger, so much so i had to run, and i mean run from the hive lastweek after "trying" to inspect them. I got half way through the hive and had to close up and leg it out of there. I had 70-100 bees follow me and dive bomb me for a good 100 yards before i stood my ground and started to swat them down. While i was in the hive i was unable to see what i was doing for the swarm of bees around me trying the dammedness to get me. Normaly i would use sugar spray on them to calm them down, but with the wasps around i didnt take any with me. I have to inspect them this week again. I will take the sugar spray with me this time, they can take their chances with the wasps. I am sure with the amount of agreesion that comes from this hive, no self respecting wasp will go near them

This is interesting to me as the more I learn the more I like the buckfast be, but I know I have to breed local bees and to try and maintain a particular strain in west London is not going to work.

Maintaining a particular strain in any part of London will require II.

I have to say that they are not always the answer. I got a couple of Buckfast queens this year and they are not performing too well compared to locally reared ones, plus one of the hives has turned very, very angry.

Just because someone tells you they are Buckfast doesn't mean that they are. If you look at my photos you'll see what well bred Buckfast bees are like, and they're like that not matter what the weather.

If you hive has turned very, very defensive - are you sure it's still got the same queen in there? Who supplied you the queen?

I have a buckfast hive that is off the scale with Anger,

It's not aggression, they don't sit there seething and plotting against you, grinding their mandibles, just waiting for the chance to sting you as much as they can.

It's a defence mechanism.

If they're over defensive, you're either got your queen from a less than satisfactory breeder, or she's has been replaced and mated with unsuitable riff raff in your area.

It's not aggression, they don't sit there seething and plotting against you, grinding their mandibles, just waiting for the chance to sting you as much as they can.

I think they have it in for me! They remember where i park my car and now wait there for me insted of chasing me.

But out of the 5 hives i have this one is way off the scale for productivity. She lays about twice as many eggs as any of the other hives i have. She is in a National hive, but looks like she needs a 14x12 (Which i may put her into next year)

I think they have it in for me! They remember where i park my car and now wait there for me insted of chasing me.

But out of the 5 hives i have this one is way off the scale for productivity. She lays about twice as many eggs as any of the other hives i have. She is in a National hive, but looks like she needs a 14x12 (Which i may put her into next year)

Re-queen with a better queen. You can have productivity off the scale without them having a go at you, and yes - you'll need a bigger sized hive than a National.

If she's that good she may need two brood chambers, some thing to watch out for early next year.

Back