BS Manley Frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haughton Honey

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Lots of Commercial hives.......
Hi all,

I'm advised to use BS Manley frames in my supers and Hoffman frames in my brood box, although I appreciate that it's all personal preference and the like.

Does anyone on here use BS Manley frames at all? What are the advantages of them in general?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Cris

I do.

R.O.B Manley invented them in the 1930's to save extracting time. In a standard National Super there are 8 frames instead of 11.

If you are considering Cut comb they are the way to go.

Also the side bars effectively give you a 2nd inner wall on two sides.

I recommended them to my beginners classes and still do.

PH

Have heard they will only fit into certain extracters, on account of the bars being wider. Is this right?

I use manley in my supers. Its all I have used so far for my supers so cant say on other super frame types. I use hoffman self spacing in my brood box.

Would it be correct to say, if you take out 1 standard and space 10 standard frames equally it will do the same job as Manley frames? A Bee Keeper of 30+ years in Bee Keeping told me to do this.

Busy Bee

Last edited:
To a point but you will miss out on the innner wall aspect.

PH

I've bought 50 Manleys, but not employed them yet. I thought that not only the spacing, but also the ease of de-capping was an important feature.

BB, Manley side bars are wide all the way down and fit closely together with no space in between, so the the side bars form a 'wall' one bee-space away from the side wall of the hive. (at least I think that's right but I'm a newbee).

JC.

Yes, now I understand, this leeds me to think how a 2nd inner wall would be an advantage in the summer time when temps are high. Maybe there is another reason.

Busy Bee

Cool as well as hot.

However the main reason is the comb thickness. Excellent cut comb. Just plain better.

PH

I use Manleys in my supers. Had to take a hacksaw to my extractor though...:(

Latest posts

Back