BS Honey Bees New Poly Hive - Best in Class?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find it quicker overall with the roller. I do huge amounts of decorating every year and have decided the roller is my best friend! (Don't tell my husband I said that) ;)
I find the best foam rollers are the 1s with a very fine bristle/flock. Lay on with the brush and run the roller over.

I find it quicker overall with the roller. I do huge amounts of decorating every year and have decided the roller is my best friend! (Don't tell my husband I said that) ;)
I used an ordinary roller a lot, but ten poly hives and five nucs certainly took a while. A sprayer will be joining me this year!

You don't have to pick it out in a different colour.
My partners school year had a reunion some time ago I sat next to one lady I knew back then😉 who told me they had just refitted and tiled their bathroom, she suggested it had taken ages for her and the husband as it was all mosaic. I said really it all comes on a sheet backing. Her reply was “ you mean you don’t take the tiles off and stick them on individually” I quite literally cried, needless to say I didn’t have much further conversation with her. Ian

My partners school year had a reunion some time ago I sat next to one lady I knew back then😉 who told me they had just refitted and tiled their bathroom, she suggested it had taken ages for her and the husband as it was all mosaic. I said really it all comes on a sheet backing. Her reply was “ you mean you don’t take the tiles off and stick them on individually” I quite literally cried, needless to say I didn’t have much further conversation with her. Ian
:icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2:

I note that you only mention the brood boxes, what's your thoughts on the hole in the supers?

Angst doesn't seem a good choice of word, I doubt anyone is losing sleep over it. Its the inclusion of them that causes various issues one of which being leaky is not one. The bags of not even single use plastic vents that I have acquired, the pre-painted hives that come with the white bung instead of being painted and at least one of my orders being short of the white plugs meanings which Abelo did thankfully rectify. All of these issues will not be a problem with the BS hive though. I guess it's how much you like fiddly things, that's one aspect of the Abelo I don't like.

Another thing I thought of I dont like about this BS hive is the amount of branding, every side of every box has their company details. On the BS nucs I find the lettering is always the most time consuming area. That was one of the nice things about the ordinal Abelo design is that they were all plain however even they have branding on them now although not to this extent.

I do like your idea of the double bung crown board/feeder.
I find the holes in the Abelo supers unnecessary and don’t use them. However some beekeepers use supers throughout (as brood and supers) in order to reduce weight lifted. Therefore they might still like to have the holes for their vertical split top entrances. Personally I am moving to using standard brood boxes throughout. I agree the Abelo (& the BS) branding on the hives is an annoyance.

I've several of the new BS hives (12), very solid units and will update this review in detail after a season. I painted the floor/brood/DB/Roof in minutes using a spray gun (zero issues). Entrance is simple to use (not fiddly) two basic sliding doors, roof fits very well and space above frames stops crushing.

Ordered the new Abelo 12 frame to compare before deciding on ordering in bulk (impressed by their pollen trap, very solid).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back