Brush Uncappers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazy_bull

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Last edited:
They look the same to me.

Amazingly the thornes looks cheaper unless there is an unseen difference I don't know about.

I would like a backup post and report on which ever one you choose and it's performance please :)

The thornes one even seems to have a stronger motor 250W instead of 180W,

Thornes only change prices once per year and the change is about due.

Perhaps this price was fixed a while ago when the Euro/Pound rate was different.

Perhaps an idea to buy sooner rather than later.

More to the point is why you would want to buy an uncapper that just removes the cappings?

Just a thought.

PH

Well......... taking off the cappings is fine for mere extraction.

I would suggest that taking off a decent amount of wax is a very good idea.

But then that is just experience.

PH

Well......... taking off the cappings is fine for mere extraction.

I would suggest that taking off a decent amount of wax is a very good idea.

But then that is just experience.

PH

What so you also get a decent wax harvest or to make it easier to extract?

I suspect PH is talking about quality too, ie new cappings and new drawn comb will be much lighter and cleaner.

CB, what number of hives would you consider the trigger for getting one of these? or is this for the future.

I suspect PH is talking about quality too, ie new cappings and new drawn comb will be much lighter and cleaner.

CB, what number of hives would you consider the trigger for getting one of these? or is this for the future.

Well i generally have 40-60 hives in production and am just finding an uncapping knife really gets on my wick and after 2 solid days cutting combs it makes my wrists hurt like hell. So just trying to make the job a bit quicker i will probably make a frame to take uncapped frames so i can be uncapping whilst someone else (the girlfriend....but she doesn't know that yet) loads/unloads the extractor.

I see what you mean about the wax getting old and heavy with debris but i generally find i end up melting combs down every few years due to a load of OSR getting set in :eek: there or if they are getting past it.

C B

Thornes only change prices once per year and the change is about due.

Perhaps this price was fixed a while ago when the Euro/Pound rate was different.

Perhaps an idea to buy sooner rather than later.

I was in Thornes Yesterday and the new catalogue is due next month (March) with the NEW prices.
:(

Back