Brum Beeks at 'Grand Designs' Exhibition NEC.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCBrum

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
8 ish
Bham and District Beekeepers Association, were at the 'Grand Designs' exhibition, in the 'Gardens and Allotments' section, demonstrating how to begin beekeeping, as part of the Warwickshire Beekeeping Group.

We had an old WBC hive on display and a new Mod. National hive with pictures of bees on brood inserted in the frames instead of foundation wax.

Lectures on beginning beekeeping were given by our guest presenter, Chris Deaves, of Twickenham Beekeeping Society, and Celia Davis, President of Warwickshire Beekeeping Association.

Celia Davis is the author of 2 beekeeping books ‘The Honey bee Inside Out’ & ‘The Honey Bee Around & About’ Celia’s book was declared best beekeeping book published during the last three years. She regularly fills the main lecture theatre at theStoneleigh Spring Convention.

Omlet were also present demonstrating their BeeHaus, and their chicken coops.

Pics attached below .... The show's last day is Sunday 11 oct (today) but admission cost £18 + carpark £10. (NEC prices I'm afraid) The show was well attended.

We were asked to have our business at Grand Designs this year - it is frighteningly expensive - a 3x3m stand costs about £3000 !!

I would be interested to know whether or not it was busy and were people buying ?!

Good to see Omlet out and about. I hope you had lots of new enquiries from Brumm Beeks!

Celia Davis is a respected authoress in the beekeeping world . Please don't expect me to believe she was endorsing the beehaus.
A little name dropping I suspect :).

John Wilkinson

JC was mereley saying who was there, not what they were endorsing? if you want to infer something from nothing.....................

Celia Davis is a respected authoress in the beekeeping world . Please don't expect me to believe she was endorsing the beehaus.
A little name dropping I suspect :).

John Wilkinson

John, I am not sure what impression you have but I can clarify for you.

1. The Warwickshire Beekeepers group, including members from the Birmingham and District Beekeepers Association, a group member, were occupying their own stand and giving lectures on beginning beekeeping. Their guest speakers were as reported, Chris Deaves, from Twickenham, and the President of Warwickshire Beekeeping Association, - Celia Davis.

Also attending were two other members from Bham & DBKA, including our Apiary Manager, and our Saturday Tutor, for newbeek apiary sessions.

2. I was personally introduced to Celia two years ago by Nigel Fleming, Past President of Birmingham & District Beekeepers Association, and have discussed beekeeping with her on several occasions, both in person and on the telephone. I have also attended lunches at BBKA HQ at Stoneleigh in Warwickshire, and met her on those occasions as well as the excellent lectures which she gives locally to beginners, both at local apiaries and tuition sessions for the formal exams. I can personally confirm she is charming and helpful to newbeeks and so is her daughter, who often assists her.

There is a photo showing the lecture program.

She was not endorsing the BeeHaus, and I have not asked her what is her opinion of it.

Omlet had their own stand and were giving advice based on their own directives, but I did not detect any notes of conflict or tension between any of the beekeepers associated with either of the stands.

I hope this clarifies the issue and would be happy to discuss further with you if you wish any more info. pm me and I'll send you my 'phone no.

Best Regards, John C. (JC).

I was remarking on name dropping and association .
I don't need things clarifying :).
People speed reading do however make these assumptions hence my comment :svengo:.
I count at least 2 members of the exec as friends inc the chair . now does that info really matter to anyone save yours truly ?

John Wilkinson

John and others, - here is a pic of Cris Deaves on the WB stand, showing the 50 year old WBC hive that we were demonstrating and a Mod Nat. with 'virtual' bees inside. (pics of bees on frames)

I didn't post it earlier because unfortunately it suffers badly from camera shake, but it does provide some contrast with the pics of the Omlet stand.

JC.

Last edited:
I'm sorry you feel it was name dropping.

I disagree with you.

JC.

I think it's common sense ....

I was just telling everyone what was happening, and who the speakers were, in case they wanted to attend.

I'm sorry you felt that way but I'd like to stay friends, - no real harm done.

JC.

I sincerely hope no harm done . Lifes too short :cheers2:.

john wilkinson

Latest posts

Back