Brother Adam Frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim1606

House Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Can anybody tell me how to make the frames that brother adam used at buckfast where the frames were cut in half for his mating nucs?

I can cut them in half no problem, but it is the hinged part that i am having problems with.

The idea was that the two halfs could be put back together and the bees drew the comb out in a full size hive before they were put into the nucs.

The frames I have seen at Hexworthy ( the Buckfast mating apiary) were not designed as you describe. The top bars were a little under half the width of a full sized frame and did not clip or fix together. I think Ron Brown had an design which does what you suggest but I am not sure of the reference.

The idea was that the two halfs could be put back together and the bees drew the comb out in a full size hive before they were put into the nucs.

No, I don't think they did that. Bro Adam in his time used mini nucs containing both half sized BS deep and half sized MD frames. The latter were used because overwintering using half sized BS frames was problematic. Bro Adam had mini nucs for the sole purpose of rearing queens, they were not built up into stocks by joining them together.

FWL Sladen (Queen Rearing in England) used half sized BS frames and then joined them together with clips to build them up into stocks.

Last edited:
Thank you Hombre that's the sort of thing i want. Why oh why did i not look on that site as my first port of call?:banghead:

Questions, questions :) :) I guess that Dave's site is a cornucopia of knowledge, but sometimes the index doesn't easily reveal the information if you aren't close to the right terminology or thinking when the page was created.. Always worth following up links there as often they reveal more hidden depths in the site.

Good ideas, but not the sort of thing that mere mortals can necessarily make with ease. No problem to seasoned wood workers I would imagine. That lets me out . . .

Enjoy.

Latest posts

Back