brood + super for winter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sahtlinurk

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Just out of interest how many of you with standard nationals are leaving super with winter food on ? It means also that this super will be treated what ever you use and can not be used for honey next year? Last year i experienced that they almost didn't touch the super and stayed in brood chamber. I ran brood and a half this year and it was ok with me.

Lauri

14 x 12 is about 1.7 standard broods I think.

I see no reason why it should necessarily be treated; and if it is 'sugar honey' it might just as well be treated, as it is unsaleable; and could be thymolised sugar syrup anyway.

Regards, RAB

My bees are preparing to tough it out on single Nationals. I could be persuaded to go 14x12 in the spring - I'll see what they say....

My National is a relativly small colony so I'm just leaving them the BB to keep warm, and probably narrowed further with divider board

My National is now on single brood. It will go into Winter full of stores and then I'll put a slab of fondant on in December as insurance (fondant is cheap). I will put them back on double brood in the Spring when it is warm enough and they need the room.

Last year i experienced that they almost didn't touch the super and stayed in brood chamber.

I guess that is one of the failings of running more than one box. The gap between two boxes can be a barrier to the winter cluster in cold weather.

I guess that is one of the failings of running more than one box. The gap between two boxes can be a barrier to the winter cluster in cold weather.

that gap is not barrier in yours "cold".

If the colony start wintering in upperbox and a cluster is small, it may go to the empty end.

But when the cluster starts to rise from bottom to top, it uses its own heat to go over the gap.

Different question is, does it really need 2 box of food.

My National is now on single brood. It will go into Winter full of stores and then I'll put a slab of fondant on in December as insurance (fondant is cheap). I will put them back on double brood in the Spring when it is warm enough and they need the room.

you have full stores and after 2,5 months you start feeding again! What insuarance?

Second brood is needed when the colony grows douple, not according the weather.

When they have too much food, bees must keep those stores warm for nothing and it limits brood ing area.

In my weather i feed hives full and the store lasts 8 months. When winter is over, i weight with hand, does hive has enough food. If it feels light, i open the ceiling to see, is there capped food.
Time is then in late marsh.

Latest posts

Back