Brood & half

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aggravated

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I would like to know what the advantages/disadvantages of using a National brood box, and a brood box plus a super, i.e a Brood & a half

With the brood & half I imagine it takes longer to check through when inspecting the bees, and there is a slight increase in risk of losing the Queen if she is in the super and you miss her, but because the colony is bigger, it should be stronger and make more honey.

Do the commercial beekeepers use more of one than the other?

You should not be only considering a brood and a half. Be a beekeeper and consider all the options. Tunnel vision does not make good beekeeping.

Can you expand a little, what sort of options are you suggesting

The National brood box on its own is generally considered too small, hence brood and a half or double brood, with all the inherent problems of twice as many frames to examine.
The other alternative is a larger brood box, eg 14 x 12 or commercial, which of course are heavier to lift.
All have pros and cons, you pays your money and you takes your choice.

At my BKA new beekeepers are still being pushed towards buying colonies on National frames, only to be told their bees will need more space the following year so should use either brood and a half or move over to Commercials or 14x12.

Dave Cushman's site has something about the history, there's more in this thread. http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=19709

Bees (colonies) must have suited the original box size, any idea why they need more space these days?

So am I right in thinking that the bigger brood box is better than the standard National one for the second year of a colony that started as a Nuc?

Try reading up on types (sizes) of hives. National is not the only option.

With the brood & half I imagine it takes longer to check through when inspecting the bees, and there is a slight increase in risk of losing the Queen
those are urban stories about risk.

You have 2 hives. It is same what time it takes.
It is more handy if you keep 2 equal boxes.

Professionals have 500 hives and they spend 4 minutes per hive or 2 minutes.

Latest posts

Back