brood cappings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all
Just done my first inspection today of the nuc i got last sunday.Couldnt wait to do it very excited to actually watch MY BEES going about they daily buisness and not my mentors. I noticed that some frames were brown wax cappings and other were bright yellow cappings. Can anybody explain why this is please. Thanks Rob.

Sounds like capped stores (white/yellow colour) vs capped brood (brown/biscuit colour)??

Is the white/yellow capping on frames at the outside(s) of the hive. And the brown/biscuit coloured frames more in the center of the hive? Also yellow/white capping if it is stores is often seen in the corners of the frames with the browner capped brood cell.

Also a noob bee bee keeper here, so only guessing.

Good luck.

they were both in centre of the frames,I wondered if it was when i moved the nuc to different area the wax changes colour.

Hi all
Just done my first inspection today of the nuc i got last sunday.Couldnt wait to do it very excited to actually watch MY BEES going about they daily buisness and not my mentors. I noticed that some frames were brown wax cappings and other were bright yellow cappings. Can anybody explain why this is please. Thanks Rob.

could just be propolis transfer around the hive, darkening the older brood cappings...photo would be best

The yellow/white cappings are fresh wax over stored.

The brown in the middle of the frame are porous cappings over pupating brood.

PH

Latest posts

Back