Brood boxes full of honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixFooter

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I acquired a colony on triple brood box with no Queen excluder. The topmost brood box is packed with honey. The other 2 brood boxes look as if they would be OK for the bees and the top brood box doesn't have any brood in it. So, if I put a QX on and a super or 2, how do I get the bees to move the honey from the superfluous brood box?

I thought I might put a crown board with a feed hole over the supers and then put the honey brood box over that. Is that the way to do it?

Could you put a QX and a super under the top box and leave them to it?

If there is no broad can't you extract the honey?

how do I get the bees to move the honey from the superfluous brood box?

I thought I might put a crown board with a feed hole over the supers and then put the honey brood box over that. Is that the way to do it?

That is a ridiculous amount of work to expect the bees to do.
Extract the brood box!

Extract the brood box!
I guess so!
I could crush and strain which is a ridiculous amount of work for me! Brood frames won't fit in my extractor.

The problem is finding an extractor that will deal with brood frames, but it is worth having one of you can afford it. Some of the smaller table type will take two or four. Well worth it for moments like this when you can just extract from a brood frame. Getting the bees to do it is really not a useful option. If nothing else store it for winter feed!
E

Extract the brood box!

Only way and best-

I have not those problems because I do not use excluder.

You loose 25% out of yield if you put them pack the honey twice.

the problem is finding an extractor that will deal with brood frames, but it is worth having one of you can afford it. Some of the smaller table type will take two or four. Well worth it for moments like this when you can just extract from a brood frame. Getting the bees to do it is really not a useful option. If nothing else store it for winter feed!
E

mad !!!!!!!!!

Extract the brood box!

:iagree:

I guess so!
Brood frames won't fit in my extractor.

Most radial extractors will take screen to convert to tangential.
Madness to think the bees are going to shift that much honey.

Only way and best-

I have not those problems because I do not use excluder.

You loose 25% out of yield if you put them pack the honey twice.

Thanks Finman for this. I mentioned in another thread that I don't use excluders and that i don't know any commercial keepers who do....

And basically was told that I was making ridiculous statements and colonies without excluders can't possibly exist and not have brood everywhere.

I officially add you to my list of beekeepers who are not mentally challenged.

And basically was told that I was making ridiculous statements and colonies without excluders can't possibly exist and not have brood everywhere.

In Finland professional beekeepers keep hives without excluder first half of summer. When fall is coming, and workers are not needed any more so much, they restrict laying with excluder.

When I have six box in hives, first has pollen, next two have brood and the rear have honey.
Brood are in two langstroth boxes and not everywhere.
Important is that pollen stores are in certain places and not everywhere here and there in honey frames.

Once again finman you totally misunderstand and then call me mad. I give in.
No one is saying you're u should use excluders or shouldn't use all brood box's but this poster didn't keep bees your ways and was asking for advice. We give it and you are rude. What changes?
E

You can often get them to move honey by placing it below the brood box if it isn't capped. If it is capped, they're slower to do it because they have fresh nectar to deal with too.

I guess so!
I could crush and strain which is a ridiculous amount of work for me! Brood frames won't fit in my extractor.

Borrow someone else's whose does accept brood frames. Keep it simple.

Not read the rest of the thread, but that top box does not seem to be a brood box. It is a super!

I guess so!

Why not try your society they probably have an extractor they will hire out that will cope with brood frames. Hang on to the extracted frames once you have given them back wet to the bees and your a step ahead with your Bailey transfer next year.

Once again finman you totally misunderstand and then call me mad. I give in.
No one is saying you're u should use excluders or shouldn't use all brood box's but this poster didn't keep bees your ways and was asking for advice. We give it and you are rude. What changes?
E

I excuse. You advices were mad: To use honey yield as Winter foodddd!!!!.
Winter food's value is £ O.40 / kg. IT is 5% the value of honey.

Mad....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back