Brood box spacing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freethorpe bees

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Two - one fiesty, one lovely. ;0)
Sorry, I know there are some threads with similar themes but I need some opinions please.

My nuc box frames have got the plastic spacers on. When I first got them the spacers were right at the end of the 'lugs'. This is the reason I managed to drop a frame - the spacer came off. I managed to move some of the spacers up the sit right next to the main frame but some are stuck fast.

So I have a mish mash of frames in my brood box. Some with spacers at the edge, some have spacers near the main part of the frame and some frames are self spacing. I have to guess when I replace the frames and can't just push them snugly together at the end of an inspection.

Sorry to go on!

Sorry, I know there are some threads with similar themes but I need some opinions please.

My nuc box frames have got the plastic spacers on. When I first got them the spacers were right at the end of the 'lugs'. This is the reason I managed to drop a frame - the spacer came off. I managed to move some of the spacers up the sit right next to the main frame but some are stuck fast.

So I have a mish mash of frames in my brood box. Some with spacers at the edge, some have spacers near the main part of the frame and some frames are self spacing. I have to guess when I replace the frames and can't just push them snugly together at the end of an inspection.

Sorry to go on!

if i am using say a nuc on BS standards into a hoffman 14x12 frames brood, i add narrow spacers to the first hoffmanframes next to the standards

miss match...keep them near the end in line with the stuck ones and use a drawing pin in the wood bewteen end and spacers...ie the drawing pin does not go thru the spacer but is next to the spacer with the head prsseing down on the spacer

never be without a box of drawing pins...markers for QC, frames to look at or remove. fixers of loose OMFflooring and note holders

Last edited:
I've got a magic thumb which is just the right width if the top bars are narrow, some unlucky people have to use spacers and others with imagination actually use their eyes to get the right spacing!

Latest posts

Back