Brood Box Handles

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hachi

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Damn! A lot more than I ever thought I'd have
I will be making up my home made commercial brood boxes this winter. As these BB's will be quite heavy when full of bees I'm going to need handles.

Our friends across the pond cut hand holds but I was thinking of screwing off-cut handles to the outside of my BB's.

My question is; Will the handles be strong enough at 6 inches long with screws every 2" or should I screw a baton on each side that runs the length of the side to act as a handle?

The last thing I need when moving a hive is for the handle to part company with the BB full of bee's.

Don't forget the roof needs to go over the sides so the handles have to be below the roof which tends to make the whole thing a little unbalanced!
E

At beekeeping I'm a complete novice, in carpentry I have some expertise...

My advice would be to use a 25 x 38 mm (1" x 1½") baton. The 38 mm (1½") height is just right to grip with four finger tips under and the thumb above unless you have particular small or large hands.

Fix to the brood box sides from the inside by means of a 3 mm (3/16") countersunk pilot hole and 38 mm x 4 mm (1½" x 8) wood screws and a waterproof or water resistant PVA adhesive.

No wish to skew the topic...
how are the finger grip cuts put in ?... have never been able to find a router to do the job neatly.

Mytten da

No wish to skew the topic...
how are the finger grip cuts put in ?... have never been able to find a router to do the job neatly.

Mytten da
Either a jig used on a table saw or a radial arm saw.

Wrong section surely?

Latest posts

Back