brood box full of honey,will they shift it up?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biglongdarren

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20+
i am waiting on a queen to start laying,and the brood box is getting full of honey,none of it is selaed yet.
they have a super on which is also maybe half full,when and if the queen does start laying will they shift this up into the super?
i am heading away now to sunday evening and it gives a cracker week here,should i maybe place another super on and if i do should i place it on top or below the one that is already there?
Darren

Saw the same thing in a friend's hive yesterday afternoon - he already has an extra (undrawn) super on, bottom supered. From what I have obsered the past couple of years, they will soon shift the nectar out of the brood box when the Queen comes into lay. Keep a wee eye on things and be ready to create a bit of room for the queen to lay in if they are slow at moving the nectar - a frame of drawn comb would be ideal but with this nice spell of weather they should be OK to draw out foundation.

If it were me I would put the new super above the brood.

PH

above the Q/E, but below any existing super(s)

the bees will find the warmth from the brood nest will help in drawing the comb out and they naturally work from the top down when filling honey into comb....

Latest posts

Back