brood box and honey!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louiseww

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 hives
I am a novice so this may be a silly question. One of my hives, which was a nucleus with 8 frames three weeks ago seems to be doing well. All eleven frames in the brood box are drawn and most have brood at various stages. I have seen the queen which is marked on one frame.
The first frame in is two thirds full of honey and has no brood that I can see, it is very heavy - should I remove it, harvest the honey and replace with another brood frame. The bees have started to draw out two frames in the super - do I fill that with frames?
If I harvest one brood frame what is the best way to do that as I do not have an extractor?
Thanks

I am a novice so this may be a silly question. One of my hives, which was a nucleus with 8 frames three weeks ago seems to be doing well. All eleven frames in the brood box are drawn and most have brood at various stages. I have seen the queen which is marked on one frame.
The first frame in is two thirds full of honey and has no brood that I can see, it is very heavy - should I remove it, harvest the honey and replace with another brood frame. The bees have started to draw out two frames in the super - do I fill that with frames?
If I harvest one brood frame what is the best way to do that as I do not have an extractor?
Thanks

Welcome to the forums louiseww.

The frame of honey is your colony insurance in case of bad weather leave this frame for them in case the weather turns suddenly and your girls can't get out.

Thanks, I was getting all excited about a jar of honey just then. But will leave and fill up the super with frames. I did think that the bees must know what they are doing - because I don't!

So, you have a super on, but one that does not contain its full complement of frames? What book(s) you been reading?

Fill up super with all the frames and that is where you harvest your honey from. Don't make things difficult for yourself or your bees.

Thanks, will do. What a great resource this forum is!

Might be an idea to get you hands on a book Louise, as it makes life easier for the bees if the owner has a bit of an idea what to do. ;)

PH

Hi Louise, I'm a new bee too. I've just finished ready Bees at the Bottom of the Garden, by Alan Campion (which was recommended on the forum) and Guide to Bees & Honey by Ted Hopper. I've found both books very helpful.
Diane

Hi Louise, I'm a new bee too. I've just finished ready Bees at the Bottom of the Garden, by Alan Campion (which was recommended on the forum) and Guide to Bees & Honey by Ted Hopper. I've found both books very helpful.
Diane

:iagree:

Latest posts

Back