brood both sides of comb gap?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen brood on every face of every comb even the outer frames. I suspect the size of the box makes a difference to this as when in a double brood they tend not to put brood in the outer most frames unless you get the odd bees that like to start at one side of the box not in the middle.
Weird creatures some go left to right some right to left and some start in the middle.
Always trying to make a round nest in a square box lol.

Another thing that I found interesting is that the bees themselves split the broodnest with store frames particularly pollen. When the seasonal bee inspector was here he asked if I had done it, as it is something we are taught that we must not do!

It is usual in my hives. I have Upper entrance in front Wall, and behind it bees make often a pollen frame in the middle of brood. It is wise. A forage unloads easily the bascets and nurser bees get easily pollen to eat. It is daily store. I thought, that let it be there.

It is usual in my hives. I have Upper entrance in front Wall, and behind it bees make often a pollen frame in the middle of brood. It is wise. A forage unloads easily the bascets and nurser bees get easily pollen to eat. It is daily store. I thought, that let it be there.
I was taking about a stores frame mainly pollen on say the sixth frame in with brood both sides as if there were two queens.

I was taking about a stores frame mainly pollen on say the sixth frame in with brood both sides as if there were two queens.
Seen it a few times almost every year, they're just putting the pollen where it's needed - right in the middle of the brood

Seen it a few times almost every year, they're just putting the pollen where it's needed - right in the middle of the brood
Yes I know. But we are told "you must not split the brood nest" and then the bees go and do it.

Thanks guys, I did the sim based on the discussion and it doesnt make alot of difference whether facing brood or not.
The sim leads to Yet another question do bees gather in the frame gap beyond the brood, i .e. not brood but covering the next frame without brood? i.e
...|bees|storestores|Bees|BroodBrood|bees|broodbrood|bees|storestore|bees|...

I have my frames warm-way and the bees always fill the first 2 frames with pollen. Presumably for a quick drop-off but not so easy to access for nurse bees at the other end of the box.

Yes I recognise this as well - in my case the small entrance is about one third of the way from the top, frames cold way in a long deep hive.

I have my frames warm-way and the bees always fill the first 2 frames with pollen. Presumably for a quick drop-off but not so easy to access for nurse bees at the other end of the box.
Because the first frames are cold to make brood.
That warm way- cold way is humbug.

When I open the entrance totally in June, bees use the whole lowest box as pollen store. (Solid floor)

When I open the entrance totally in June, bees use the whole lowest box as pollen store. (Solid floor)
A frame in the top box plus the entire bottom box. That's a lot of pollen.

Back