Brood and a half or........

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

planbee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Two
I'm trying to make up some sort of plan for when I get some Bee's, and I want to ensure that they have the best start.

I accept that putting them on a brood and a half should make them wonderfully happier than on a single box, but I've got a spare brood box, and quite a lot more brood frames, than super frames.

So partly from that point of view, and of keeping as many things "the same", would I gain anything from providing them with that - apart from another hernia repair, of course?

Whatever is the best way to go, should the extra box be supplied right from the start?

John

How are you getting your bees,A Nuc or a full hive ?

2 sama size stores are better because you can alter frames inside brood boxes. If bees do not fill stores with brood, hey store pollen there. So they store not it into supers.

If you put couple of boxes out and combs, I suppose that you have soon swarm inside.

Sorry to say it is far too early to make plans as you have as yet no idea what strength these bees are going to be.

If I may make a suggestion it is to learn the days an egg, days a larvae, and days under cappings.

If possible seek out a beekeeper and beg a few days experience with them, and if possible a person with more than two hives so you can get some decent queen finding practice.

PH

A Nuc or a full hive?

I'm planning to get a Nuc, just waiting to hear from the Gent that is going to supply it, and I've got two hives out there, baited, just in case I get lucky!

John

I would put the nuc into a hive with a dummy board and give them a feed,bees dont like to expand if they are given to much room.

Let them draw out and fill around 8-9 frames with brood then put on the second brood box with another feed to help them make wax.

You may not even need a second box.

Brood and a half....thanks!

Thanks for all your help and advice - I'll have to wait and see how they develop, and then decide what to do.

John [sameagle]

Thanks for all your help and advice - I'll have to wait and see how they develop, and then decide what to do.

John [sameagle]

No problem. You just find somewhere good calm queens which lay to you 2 brood boxes.

Hivemaker told that he has that kind of queens.

Latest posts

Back