Brood and a half or leave well alone

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

one bee one

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Looking for some guidance. For the last two or three nights around 7:30 large amount of bees have been collecting on the landing board and fanning (it's still in the 20's + degrees). When I last checked my hive the brood box was full but with space for the queen to lay. Should I go to brood and a half or leave well alone. I have two supers on almost full. Any advice gratefully accepted. Thanks. PS some pictures included.
ba06701da4f862aef34c79668b7123f0.jpg
5550f0b92f0f742149dd97ce04373bd6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

depends on how full the brood box is. how many frames of brood does the hive have and does the queen have space to lay? If laying space is congested brood and a half or double is needed. If congested with stores swap out some frames for foundation. If the supers are full lift them add another underneath and/or extract and give them back. lots of options.

If you have 2 supers almost full, you need two empty supers where bees put nectar to rippen. Othsrwise they use brood box as nectar storing and the hive swarms.

Surely you need more brood space . Attention to swarming cells! Inspect every week the brood box.

it can be no space, or it can just be there is a flow on and therefore bees are outside.
There can be plenty of drawn space inside and with a flow is in progress you can see bees congregating outside with a loud roaring coming from the hive.
Are the bees getting out of the way of the ripening process? Maybe.
I would check for space anyway as a flow means space is being used up.

Back