Brood and a half for winter?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandysman

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3+
After uniting four hives, one with a newly laying queen I have two very strong colonies which are bringing in the balsam like its going out of fashion. One of the hives (both Nationals on OMF's) has BIAS on at least 5 frames and bees on 9' the other has bees on 10 frames but the new queen is just getting going.
Two questions. Just for the winter period would anyone consider going brood and a half and if so which way round would you place the super? I ask this second question having read previous posts about placing the super across the run of the brood box, i.e 90 degrees to it, as this helps to separate the two boxes when necessary by helping to deter the bees from gluing the frames together.
I have heard a number of horror stories about B+ 1/2 but wonder if its worth giving it a go or would you forget it?
Thanks
Andy

They don't need brood and a half over winter, by spring they will only be in the brood if the half is underneath. But.....there is nothing wrong with having brood and a half all the time. I put all my box's at right angles, every brood, every super, it makes it so much easier to separate them and it has never caused any problems!
E

Admin,
have just seen that someone else posted a similar question earlier. You can delete this.
A

Back