Bring bees home for winter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Buzz

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have some hives out in the fields should I bring them home for winter or leave them where are?

They are reasonably safe (I hope) just thinking of the practicalities of feeding and apiguard.

That is a genuinely unanswerable question.

Only you can make the fuel/location cost assessment, not to mention the suitability of the sites.

Sorry this one is mission impossible.

PH

That is a genuinely unanswerable question.

Only you can make the fuel/location cost assessment, not to mention the suitability of the sites.

Sorry this one is mission impossible.

PH
:iagree:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
:not worthy

Do you work in IT Poly?
That is a classic IT "answer"....
100% accurate..... just not that helpful!!

:not worthy

I'm pondering this one too Jeff.
Perhaps some other things you could consider:

- Which site has the best micro climate - i.e - is best protected from strong winds, damp, cold etc.
- How far is the journey? The longer the journey the more likelihood of problems.
- Which site is the most private / secure? Hedges lose their leaves in winter and hives become more visible.
- How often would you get the chance to check on your out-apiary if you leave them there? What if there's heavy snow again this winter - could you still get to them?

A lot less requirement to visit the hives regularly over winter once they have been prepared, so if you are happy with the travel for the rest of the year then little point in moving them I'd have thought.

I'm contemplating bringing mine home for the winter to avoid badgers and woodpeckers, both of which are in the area of my apiary.

That's a very open question but having asked it, the main question is, how far away are they now from where you would intend to relocate them? Less than three miles and you'll lose a lot of bees.

Unless you see a major disadvantage in leaving them where they are, I wouldn't move them.

Thanks for the replys folks clears the mind a bit and nice having some other opinions for more experienced bee keepers.
All the hives are with 5 miles and I will be around the areas they are situated during winter months.
All reasonably secure and all quite well sheltered so I think I will leave them put.

jeff I had some hives turned over by kids in the snow last year. so I have made a nice warm bee shed for them to over winter in, then Ill take them back for the rape next spring.

A number of beekeepers in our association felt that the colonies that overwintered in the garden last year tended to emerge stronger than those that were in the out-apiuries.

Just now I have none productive hives in my yard now.

It is easier to handle in one place to next summer.

I move hives alone with sedan carry.

Back