bright orange pollen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeePee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 nationals and 3 14 x 12
When looking at my colonies this week I saw bright orange pollen being taken in.
I have no idea where its from........... any ideas.

BeePee.

Blooming about now with orange pollen are mullein,nasturtium,californian poppy,rock rose and garden daisies and sunflowers. There are probably more but they are the ones I can see out and about here.

Last edited:
Thanks Dani for that but I live in very rural Herefordshire where I cannot see any of those near me. My colonies are on a farm with only hedgerows around this time of year and they normally thrive on what they find there.
It must be something from a hedgerow???.

Field scabious? Or do you have a field of asparagus near you?

Mine are also bringing in orange pollen, but i have no idea what plant it's from.

I have red pollen, looks like the bees have stop lights on,

orange,, indicators,

yellow,

light red, side lights,

white, reversing lights,

and blue...........undercover police car?

All my rural colonies are bring in tons of two different types of pollen and were very docile today. A burnt orange and an off white cream colour. As I have the river Meon a very short distance away H.Balsam is most likely but I'm not to sure about the other. The rich smell of blossom honey from each of the hives as I removed the roof was lovely:drool5:, in the last week they have managed to store a fair bit more nectar, ripen it and have started to cap the cells.

Narrow entrances are fending of the wasps nicely, and I was a little pleased to see a wasp who managed to sneak into the top of one of the supers and was shortly hauled out again by 3 bees not looking to healthy. :smash:

Back