Brewers Yeast

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzz lightyear

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I need some, Holland and Barret are out of the powder, anyone got the name of a source, cheap, on line? Cheers, Buzz

Hi Steve, welcome to the forum.

Don't quote me, but I suspect that brewers yeast powder is essentially spent brewers yeast I believe (that doesn't make real sense as it just multiplies), but is killed with heat. The theory being that the nutrients are there but it is not an active yeast any more.

Not sure that fermenting bees are a good thing. :) :) :) Very good as a source of rich nutrition, for people, horses and bees as a supplement.

Some beekeepers feed pollen patties or pollen substitute patties in the early spring, made from soya flour, brewers yeast powder, sugar and irradiated pollen or pollen from your own bees where the risk of disease is limited.

pollen, unless irradiated, or honey from other sources is a definite no, no. Spores of AFB, EFB or other pathogens can be present and while totally safe for humans are vectors for bee diseases.

The patties give the bees the protein that they need to raise brood ready for the early nectar flows. I am about to put patties on my bees this coming week with a view to giving them a chance to build up strongly as they come into the spring.

= = =
I hope someone will be along in the morning to give you an assist with looking into their boxes of bees. Enjoy. :cheers2:

Hi chaps thanks for the replys. Thinking of getting a bit more than I need to save on postage. Do you know if it keeps, frezer or otherwise. Buzz

Hi Steve, welcome to the forum.

Don't quote me, but I suspect that brewers yeast powder is essentially spent brewers yeast I believe (that doesn't make real sense as it just multiplies), but is killed with heat. The theory being that the nutrients are there but it is not an active yeast any more.

Not sure that fermenting bees are a good thing. :) :) :) Very good as a source of rich nutrition, for people, horses and bees as a supplement.

Some beekeepers feed pollen patties or pollen substitute patties in the early spring, made from soya flour, brewers yeast powder, sugar and irradiated pollen or pollen from your own bees where the risk of disease is limited.

pollen, unless irradiated, or honey from other sources is a definite no, no. Spores of AFB, EFB or other pathogens can be present and while totally safe for humans are vectors for bee diseases.

The patties give the bees the protein that they need to raise brood ready for the early nectar flows. I am about to put patties on my bees this coming week with a view to giving them a chance to build up strongly as they come into the spring.

= = =
I hope someone will be along in the morning to give you an assist with looking into their boxes of bees. Enjoy. :cheers2:

Evening,

i didnt know that the yeast wasnt the same , just thought i was being helpful telling him what site i buy my yeast and brewers sugar from when im homebrewing , im new but hopefuly get the hang of it soon :cheers2:

Steve/Scottishdyker, I could be wrong about the yeast. I don't think so and as yet no one has confirmed or denied it, so the jury is still out, but I think so.

Just imagine wolfing down a couple of heaped teaspoons of brewing yeast on your bran flakes, as a nutritional supplement, complete with a big spoonful of sugar and some warm milk.

Would you expect to be able to sit through a long meeting with important people at work?
A high speed video camera might be good to record the effects. Perhaps stomach acid would stop fermentation in the gut - do you really feel lucky? :)

The cheapest place for sugar seems to be Booker's. Sometimes your association may have a contact for sugar sweepings, the result of biscuit making where there is sugar wastage or spillage. It can occasionally be had at a knock down price for feeding bees, but is otherwise not fit for direct human consumption.

Not sure how brewing sugar differs from sucrose, but it will not normally be cost effective when compared with the best sucrose (table sugar) prices.

I appreciate your desire to help others, but just want to make you aware of a few of the subtleties that you will later become aware of. Best to give you the heads up that you might unwittingly be headed for a pit fall. Your learning process hopefully continues with the feedback offered.

In the same way, High Fructose Sugar Syrup (HFSC) isn't fed to bees as it's balance is wrong and is a bit like feeding sugar and lots of E numbers to a hyperactive child.

Maybe someone could comment on or confirm my perceived difference between brewing yeast and brewers yeast powder please? :toetap05:

It won't get any better and I would plan on using it within 18 months of purchase as it's nutritional value is likely to deteriorate slowly. Holland & Barratt Brewers yeast powder bought last April has a "10/2010 best before end" date on it.
So there is likely to be not a lot of saving if purchasing in year one for a couple of colonies in anticipation of four next year. Next year I might be looking on buying a kilogram or two.
= = =
Hedgerow Pete isn't afraid of admitting it though . . . except to the wife maybe. :)

just to be clear on this point... The brewer's yeast should be the powdered stuff you get from healthfood shops and not "live" yeast from a brewery?

We have a micro-brewery just down the road so I thought I'd tap him for a bit of his yeast - maybe not now.

I did a bit of Google research, because the question is of interest to me also as I will have an out apiary this year at the premises owned by a micro brewer.

if you raise it's temperature to 60 degrees Celcius for a few minutes then a sure kill of brewers yeast should result. I hope that the citation is legible enough for you to read clearly.

My Google search string was:
how much heat is required to kill most brewing yeasts​

I hope this has been of help. You might like to reply or raise another thread to record your experiences after giving it a try and advising how acceptable it was to your bees.

That way we will all be the wiser for it and can start pestering local breweries. :grouphug:

Hombre,

Many thanks for your research. I will pop in to the micro brewery (purely for research purposes :)) and see if I can blag a bit of his yeast.

Live yeast and honey - sounds to me like the bees will be brewing their own mead :cheers2:

Hombre,

Many thanks for your research. I will pop in to the micro brewery (purely for research purposes :)) and see if I can blag a bit of his yeast.

Live yeast and honey - sounds to me like the bees will be brewing their own mead :cheers2:

I heard of a law requiring a brewery to supply a member of the public with yeast on request :).
Can't vouch for its accuracy bur may assist your blagging :svengo:.

John Wilkinson

I've fed the gunk from the bottom of homebrew beer to the bees after drying it a bit on the rayburn, maybe it reached 60 odd but I'm sure the patties didnt ferment and the bees ate it much quicker than feedbee

just to say ordered on line from Holland and Barrett, in the end. 3 X 460g 13.06 inc delivery

I bought mauripan dried yeast via bako last year,about £20 for 10kg box,all prepacked in 1kg box's,brewerys are the best way though.

Latest posts

Back